• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a 6" Backing Plate on Rupes LHR15 II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a 6" Backing Plate on Rupes LHR15 II

Guys

I have a ton of 6" Meguiars microfibre and foam discs from using the 7424XP and MT300. I'll be ordering a LHR15 from Rupes soon which comes with a 5" backing plate and I was wondering what are the implications of using it with a 6" backing plate interchangeably. I've heard everything from, it will work fine to it will destroy the machine. Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this?

Thanks

Re: Using a 6" Backing Plate on Rupes LHR15 II

Have you called rupes? Have you talked to a distributer about their thoughts or past experiences? Last time I talked to rupes....The 15 was for 5 inch pads, the 21 was for 6 inch pads and the 75e was for 4 inch pads. They told me they design for optimization of that machine as a whole group including pads, machine, and creams. I'm sure if you use a 6 inch on the 15 it won't hurt it. But it is not optimized for it

Comment

I would stick to whatever backing plate that comes equipped with the Rupes machines. The only long throw system that I know of that you can interchange 5" and 6" backing plates (pads and creams as well) with no ill effects is the Griot's Garage BOSS system which has been tested and approved.

Comment

Thanks guys

Just on a whim I also emailed Kevin Brown at buffdaddy.com and he actually answered:

Kevin Brown
        8:26 PM (2 hours ago)
        to me
        Hello-

It'll work perfectly, as the 5" and 6" plates feature the same weight (128-130 grams).

If you decide to purchase from me, I am happy to swap the 5" plate for the 6".

He even offered to trow in some free pads.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');