• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W-9006 Pads On Non-Meguiar's Orbital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W-9006 Pads On Non-Meguiar's Orbital

So I'm running low on money and I had an idea. I have a Coleman Orbital Buffer from Wal-Mart with one speed. I wanted to save up for Mike's PC deal but I was wondering if I could adapt Meguiar's W-8006 and W-9006 pads to attach to the Coleman. The Coleman doesn't use Velcro and I'm not sure if it can be fitted with a backing plate.

I'm not even sure what the backing plate looks like. From the one pic I saw it looks like it has a hole in middle to attach somehow. On my Coleman, all it is two big foam attached pads for use under there bonnets.

Would it be possible to adapt the backing plate or the foam pads (maybe with a cut-out or sizable round velcro adhesive backing to the Coleman. I know you guys wont be too happy about this post but I'm poor and I don't even know what price range Mike is looking at for his PC deal.

Thanks for any input guys
    '87 Dante's Peak Off-Road GMC Suburban
    '01 Jeep Cherokee

'01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

sorry dude.
      its cheaper for me to buy a new pc than paint a hood, but thats just me and my machinical skills. somebody had to "rig" the first pc so I imagane what you want can be done as long as you want to take the chance.
      good luck
      2019 GMC Sierra
      1500 AT4

Comment

Re: W-9006 Pads On Non-Meguiar's Orbital

Originally posted by mxman
        So I'm running low on money and I had an idea. I have a Coleman Orbital Buffer from Wal-Mart with one speed. I wanted to save up for Mike's PC deal but I was wondering if I could adapt Meguiar's W-8006 and W-9006 pads to attach to the Coleman. The Coleman doesn't use Velcro and I'm not sure if it can be fitted with a backing plate.

I'm not even sure what the backing plate looks like. From the one pic I saw it looks like it has a hole in middle to attach somehow. On my Coleman, all it is two big foam attached pads for use under there bonnets.

Would it be possible to adapt the backing plate or the foam pads (maybe with a cut-out or sizable round velcro adhesive backing to the Coleman. I know you guys wont be too happy about this post but I'm poor and I don't even know what price range Mike is looking at for his PC deal.

Thanks for any input guys
        I found a foam bonnet for my Sears orbital...It stretched over the pad.
        r. b.

Comment

That would work! url??
          '01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Originally posted by mxman
            That would work! url??
            I found mine at Advance Auto, but it's been a few years ago.

Try Auto Zone, Wal-Mart, Target and the auto paint stores.

Good Luck!
            r. b.

Comment

Meguiar's Backing Plate

Kinda bumping this thread butI took a picture of my Electrical Oribital. As you can see the right peice is the backing plate that screws into the unit on the left.

Does Meguiar's backing plate look anything similiar?

Don't hate on me too much for trying to adapt a Meguair's plate! Just wanted to know if it's possible. If anyone has a picture of Meguair's 6.5" Orbital or PC Backing Plate that would be even better. Thanks again.
              '01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Perhaps similiar to this?

Rusty Bumper - Found some bonnets but would rather have Meg's pads...
                Foam Bonnet Link 1
                Foam Bonnet Link 2
                '01 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Hi Mxman,

If the screw in your picture is 5/16" OD, then Meguiar's DA backing pad might just work...Here is some info I found for you:

Dual-Action Polisher Backing Plates
                  Allows quick and easy pad changes with Velcro® backing system
                  Fits all Dual-Action polishers with 5/16" diameter shaft
                  Meguiars DA backing pad (Or plate) has a 5/16" threaded post sticking out the top of it...About the same length as your screw (Sorry, I would post you a picture of mine, but I have no DC yet).

The second backing plate looks like it fits a rotary buffer (I think....It's a little hard to tell from this angle).

A rotary is made with the screw post built into it, and the backing plate has a 5/8" threaded hole in it.
                  Last edited by rusty bumper; Apr 18, 2004, 08:12 PM.
                  r. b.

Comment

Rusty Bumper hit this one on the head. Please let us know what size shaft that you have on that particular machine and we may better be able to help you out.

Meguiar's offers backing plates for both Dual Action and Rotary machines. The Rotary plate (W-65 & W-64) is a 5/8" female backing plate whereas the one that RB mentioned is a 5/16th male backing plate (W-65DA & W-64DA).

Further, if it were me, I'd use great caution by trying to make something work that isn't meant to work. I have this worry that you could make a problem that is easily solved (ie: swirls) into a problem that can be solved but, only by a guy at a body shop (ie: repaint). Just a tidbit of 'enthusiast to enthusiast' advice.

RP
                    -The Final Detail-
                    Lagrange, Kentucky
                    thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
                    CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

Originally posted by Rockpick
                      I have this worry that you could make a problem that is easily solved (ie: swirls) into a problem that can be solved but, only by a guy at a body shop (ie: repaint). Just a tidbit of 'enthusiast to enthusiast' advice.

RP
                      That is possible...I was going to try the very same thing a few years ago, but I didn't think it would work. I mean, I was going to use 6 1/2" pads on a 9" buffer.

Thank goodness I found enough money to buy a PC.
                      r. b.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');