• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquid Ultimate Wax vs. M7 Showroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Liquid Ultimate Wax vs. M7 Showroom

Thanks for that guys. What paper and polish combination do you use to handle brush touch-ups ?
    Also, to do it right, it seems that one needs a tiny, tiny wet sanding block to properly do the leveling....am I right ?
    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
      Are you applying M205 via DA Polisher or by hand ?
      I am using M105 for leveling brush touch-ups that have been hit first with #600 paper.
      DA (rupes LHR 15 mark II. I use to use the Megs G110v2 but have now dedicated that as my carpet brush and 4 inch pads).

As others have mentioned, I would go 600->800->1000->1500 at a minimum before using M105/M100 to remove. It would benefit you even further to go 2000/2500 and or even 2000->3000 before using M105/M100

Comment

Thanks for that guys. What paper and polish combination do you use to handle brush touch-ups ?
        Also, to do it right, it seems that one needs a tiny, tiny wet sanding block to properly do the leveling....am I right ?
        nothing that drastic anymore. Dr. Colorchips squeegee thing is way easier and gets 90-95% (sometimes better). And it takes a hot 5 minutes...

Dr. ColorChip Squirt 'n Squeegee Paint Chip Repair Kit - Get the best DIY paint chip repair results with Dr. ColorChip! Repair paint chips, certain types of scratches, and road rash professionally with the Dr. ColorChip Squirt 'n Squeegee Paint ...

Comment

I've made small blocks out of chunks of rubber, like rubber stoppers. Just cut 'em down to whatever size you need. Just be sure that they are not too short. Really short and they're a bear to hang on too.

I also highly recommend you do use a quality paper...you have a auto paint supplier local? Hit them up for Meguiar's paper. The paper REALLY does make a different in the outcome. Another option for 'paper' is look at 3M's "Trizact".

Good luck...

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
            Really short and they're a bear to hang on too.
            Bill
            I would think one would need a 1/4" wide piece of flat metal to act as a handle with a 45 degree bend at the end which would hold the wet paper.
            This would insure the brush touch-up gets flattened evenly.
            Does such a thing exist ?
            2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Another option for 'paper' is look at 3M's "Trizact".
              WOW....$6 for a single sheet of 3.6" x 9" paper !!!

Comment

I would think one would need a 1/4" wide piece of flat metal to act as a handle with a 45 degree bend at the end which would hold the wet paper.
                This would insure the brush touch-up gets flattened evenly.
                Does such a thing exist ?
                You may be over thinking it...think along the line of wrapping a piece of paper around the end of a pencil (eraser end).

WOW....$6 for a single sheet of 3.6" x 9" paper !!!
                https://www.amazon.com/3M-03064-Triz...+trizact+paper
                Yea, tis a bit pricy. But man is that stuff sweet to work with. I only use it for 5000 grit.

Bill

Comment

You may be over thinking it...think along the line of wrapping a piece of paper around the end of a pencil (eraser end).
                  Bill
                  That's an interesting approach....but still...something more sophisticated is needed IMHO.
                  The big problem is getting that small piece of wet paper attached....

Comment

Bill - that is actually a pretty good idea. With a circular end, you could twirl it or rub it back and forth....which is ideal.
                    But this would be less ideal for handling a long scratch which was hand-brushed.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone created a tool like that which would allow for various sizes, shapes and papers ?
                    One where you could swap the sanding end with a different size and grit ?

Comment

Bill - that is actually a pretty good idea. With a circular end, you could twirl it or rub it back and forth....which is ideal.
                      But this would be less ideal for handling a long scratch which was hand-brushed.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone created a tool like that which would allow for various sizes, shapes and papers ?
                      One where you could swap the sanding end with a different size and grit ?
                      AHHHH, you're getting the idea. Instead of a pencil, a chunk of stiff/ hard rubber and the paper wrapped "U" shaped and just use your fingers to hang on to it. Remember, the paper is gonna be wet-so really no way to 'glue' it on. Also by using a long piece of paper you can keep moving to a fresh area.

One thing to remember...even though the super fine grits seem pretty benign, a LOT of paint can be removed faster than you think. Always go gentle.

As to a using different grits that stick-there are papers like that. But not for high numbered grit wet/dry papers 'we' use. You find them for the wood working crowd. Just sticky-back to the sander face.

Bill

Comment

AHHHH, you're getting the idea. Instead of a pencil, a chunk of stiff/ hard rubber and the paper wrapped "U" shaped
                        Great idea !! I am thinking an old fashioned rubber eraser would be perfect as it has about 3 surfaces that can be used.
                        However, do they still make them ? I'm gonna check Staples this week.....

Comment

Great idea !! I am thinking an old fashioned rubber eraser would be perfect as it has about 3 surfaces that can be used.
                          However, do they still make them ? I'm gonna check Staples this week.....
                          Good ol' Pink Pearl! Yup, still out there. Check out your local "dollar store", they have imported knock offs.

Bill

Comment

Here are some alternatives.

Regular 3d rectangular eraser.

Larger 5 inch eraser with 45 degree ends for Big Mistakes.

3M sanding pad that you might be able to cut to shape and size.

Comment

The sponge pads look to be only as fine as 400 grit....I wonder if they have 1000 or 1500 grit ?

Comment

The pad I show above is used by wrapping the grit of sandpaper you choose to use, example 1500, 3000 grit.
                                Similar to how the image of the erasers have been wrapped.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');