• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquid Ultimate Wax vs. M7 Showroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Liquid Ultimate Wax vs. M7 Showroom

Ok Guys, I went to Staples last night and got 2 dozen pencils and a bunch of Ticonderoga erasers.
    I stayed up most of the night to assemble a set of pencil erasers with both 1500 and 800 grit papers....using contact glue.
    Then I set-up the erasers which are larger.....for both papers as well.
    The contact glue really worked well !! Just wait 5 minutes before making the contact.
    I'll report back the results on the Basalt black metallic finish on the Porsche....a challenging finish no doubt.
    The car just required so many touch-ups....I'm even thinking about a complete overall refinish in the spring....LOL !
    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

It's OK to go slow and show patience. Small work areas are where patience can pay back.
      I look forward to hearing about and seeing images of your results.

Comment

OK, well I got to work today on the black Porsche. Also, I finally found a local auto parts store that had M205....hooray !! I checked about 4 other stores in the area and none had it. Oh, they had M105, but not M205....go figure.
        I started out with the pencil end erasers and found them ineffective. Then I went with the ticonderoga pencil end tips and they were very good...I only wish they were a bit smaller (see last image).
        Attached are the results....you can see the scratches and the touch-ups in the red circles. Most of the problems were the door edge and around the air intake scoop.
        I went with #800 paper, then #1500 paper, followed by M105 and then finally M205....the latter of which is phenomenal. No wonder they keep it out of the hands of consumers....LOL !!
        Not perfect, but then again, black is tough !!!
        On my first go-around, I used a rotary buffer with M105, followed by light hand rubbing with M105, and finally hand polished with M7.
        The results were less than great....going straight from M105 to M7 was not a good idea. The hood turned-out pretty well however (images 4 and 5) in this latest round.
        More result pics to come...and a more technical discussion on why it's not good to brush touch-up a 2 stage paint (especially black !) with only the color coat.
        2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Here are the images....

(For some reason I could not insert the images)

Comment

SysWizard
            Your URL for one drive brings up a permissions problem when clicked by "other" visitors.
            You may need to change the permissions at the folder and/or file level on one drive for these images.

If you are not a System Wizard, ignore this next block.
            ====
            Your file permissions should be a minimum of:
            rw- r-- r--
            The final triplette (Other or Worldwide) is missing the final r--.
            ====

Note: MOL chose not to implement attachments in vBulletin. So let me show you an alternative.

Here is a thread on uploading image files from your computer to the your MOL Gallery, and then posting them.

Comment

Now your one drive link is working.

Comment

Here is a thread on uploading image files from your computer to the your MOL Gallery, and then posting them.
                http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...g-Photo-Albums

I played with one of your eraser tip image a little and saved it on my computer. I uploaded it to my Gallery and now include it below.
                You can do this. Just takes a couple of tries. Then it is easy.

Comment

Thanks Guys...and I'll use the gallery next time. Can everyone now get at the OneDrive folder on a read-only basis ?

Comment

Here are the images - with mainly before (scratches and brush marks) and after smoothing (sand, 105, 205)

Comment

Here are the images - with mainly before (scratches and brush marks) and after smoothing (sand, 105, 205)

Sorry, but I'm having a tough time getting these images to format correctly. Brutal process of placing them in the proper order and then having to insert them one-by-one.

Comment

I will send you a PM in 10 minutes, with my contact info. Possibly I can help.
                        It looks like somehow, thumbnails might have been uploaded to your Gallery.

Actually, I see now that image statements have the URL to the thumbnails directory rather than the image directory. So your images are showing on the page as 120 x 68 pixel thumbnails.

Comment

SysWizard
                          PM sent. PM=Personal Message.

To retrieve, you should be able to click the NOTIFICATIONS button item near the upper right of the screen (for computers, I am not sure on phone devices).

Comment

When you select the code to copy and paste, I think you used the top one. This is for thumbnails.

Try the HTML code info instead and just paste it into your text of your post. You can type info above or below the image.

Example of Gallery usage to find code to paste into a post to show an image.

Comment

It should work and display like this.

Info you type in post like Scoop with #600 paper scratches and paint touchup

air intake scoop after M105/M205 scratch removal

Black hood before touch-up repair

Black hood after touch-up repair and M205

Comment

Thanks much for that posting Bear....they should just eliminate the ability to select thumbnails....no value in those, not enough detail...
                                especially for a DETAILING website....LOL !!

My latest issue to be documented:
                                failure with a paintless dent remover tool. Worked great on thin American sheet metal; failed abysmally with German sheet metal....glue was just not strong enough.
                                I used this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                                The glue kept failing....either on the metal or on the plastic tabs....it was about 50-50....and VERY frustrating.
                                Can anyone with experience on this chime in ?
                                Do I need "special" glue ? (Well I just answered this question: https://www.amazon.com/Sticks-Glisto...less+dent+glue
                                and indeed that cheap glue I used that is included with the glue gun WON'T WORK VERY WELL...Duh !)

Do I need to prep the surface ? (I cleaned with lacquer thinner...lightly, natch ! and then used 1500 paper to sand the dent for adhesion purposes)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');