• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Detailing

So a couple questions about detailing a car during the winter. I know from reading here that Megs products are not recommended to be used below 55F, but does this have to do with the ambient air temperature or the temperature of the surface of the car? For example, in southern New Mexico we will get below 55F on many days during the winter but the sun will be out most of the time. With my black car absorbing the energy of the sun the surface of the car can get above 55F but not into the extreme heat of the summer. So I guess the questions are:

1. Is the 55F limit more important for the ambient temperature or the surface temperature of the car?

2. Would I be able to apply the products that say to not apply in the sun due to the lower temperatures outside?

Just trying to figure this out because I will have no garage to work in but I just got a new black car, so work will need to be done.

Re: Winter Detailing

Nothing from anyone? That's depressing.

Comment

I have no clue if it is surface or ambient temperature. What I do know is that I waxed a car a couple of years ago in my garage, and the thermometer read 48 degrees. Set up time was longer. As for waxing in the sun to get the surface temperature up, perhaps do a scientific experiment and live dangerously. Dab some wax on, maybe a foot square, and record the ambient and surface temps. You should quickly find the answer to your question.

Comment

I know the recommended temperature for not waxing is 55 degrees, but I have applied Meg's products at lower temperatures...but not below 45 degrees. A lot depends on the product you use. I think that I'd stick with an easy to apply and remove all in one cleaner wax like Meg's inexpensive Cleaner Wax in the burgundy bottle. Apply a very thin coat. It will probably be harder to remove than it would be at a higher temperature. When spring arrives, do a complete detail with your product of choice.

Comment

1. Is the 55F limit more important for the ambient temperature or the surface temperature of the car?
          Probably a bit of both. If it gets too cold/damp overall, the products just get hard to work around and remove. I waxed my car the other week up here, and the wax smeared a little. Oh well, the dirt covered it right back up anyway.

2. Would I be able to apply the products that say to not apply in the sun due to the lower temperatures outside?
          Yeah, for sure. Sunlight is a good thing when it is cool out, esp with waxes to help them dry. If i know it is cool/cold, I tend to stick with cleaner/waxes or waxes... polishes and things that say to remove before drying can still be a bit tricky.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

OK, I think that's basically the answer I'm looking for. I'm not looking to go all out on the car but primarily getting it to the point where it looks good (doesn't have to be great yet) and got some protection on there till it starts to warm up in the spring and I can go more all out on it.

Comment

I've worked in temps down in the 30's using Meguiars products with no noticeable effects

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');