• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for Show Detail and show tools for a Noob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for Show Detail and show tools for a Noob

Ok, I have a Handicap accessible Show truck but am new to the detailing world. I have been searching around and found a lot of helpful info but wanted some thats a little more specific.

1) I am looking for the best and easiest to use products and best processes to apply them to give my paint and truck that show winning look.

2) As well as any tips that might come in hands at a show.

I am in a wheelchar so I take me a little longer but I will have help.

Thanx a million.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by punx77; Jun 13, 2005, 09:04 AM.

Re: Help for Show Detail for a Noob

Originally posted by punx77
    Ok, I have a Handicap accessible Show truck but am new to the detailing world. I have been searching around and found a lot of helpful info but wanted some thats a little more specific.

1) I am looking for the best and easiest to use products and best processes to apply them to give my paint and truck that show winning look.

2) As well as any tips that might come in hands at a show.

I am in a wheelchair so I take me a little longer but I will have help.

Thanx a million.
    Hi punx77,

As this is your first post... Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Hang on a second...

First, here's you photo...

And for everyone that reads this post, click on the link below to learn why you cannot attach a photo using the Attach File option. (There's a very good reason why we don't allow this).

How to put pictures into your posts
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Punx77

Welcome to MOL Great looking truck you have there.

Rob

Comment

Your truck's paint has what looks like the type of swirls instilled by the misuse of a rotary buffer. As such in order to completely remove them you're going to have to use either a paint cleaner or a cleaner/polish over the entire finish. You can do this by hand, or machine and we can show you which products to use to do this.

Before I type further, removing the swirls mean removing a little bit of paint in an effort to level or smooth out the surface.

In the diagram below, you can see that swirls and scratches mean high and low points in the finish and in order to remove the high points, you will have to remove a little paint.

So a quick question...

Do you own a dual action polisher like Meguiar's G100?

If not can you get one?

If you don't have one and cannot get one, you can do all of the work by hand using ScratchX, but it will take some time and effort and it must be applied correctly or you won't get the results you're looking for.

Here's a picture of rotary buffer induced swirls removed by hand using ScratchX.

While not 100% perfect, it is a dramatic improvement. You can do even better using a dual action polisher.

Another option would be to apply to well worked-in coats of either our ColorX, or or NXT as they both have the ability to remove and reduce visible swirls. This won't be the perfect approach, but will do a great job and it will be the easy approach.

Below is a picture of a Corvette with swirls and on the right hand side, (Drivers side), we hand applied coat of NXT Tech Wax.

What do you think? How would you like to proceed?
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Well the dual action buffer is not in my price range this week since I had been getting ready for a show.

Since I am removing a small amount of paint, that is just my clear coat correct?

Unforfunatly with the time restrains, it looks like I am most likly to go with ColorX or NXT unfornuatly

Comment

Originally posted by punx77
            Well the dual action buffer is not in my price range this week since I had been getting ready for a show.

Since I am removing a small amount of paint, that is just my clear coat correct?
            Yes.

Unfortunately with the time restrains, it looks like I am most likely to go with ColorX or NXT unfortunately
            Here are some options for you.

If your truck is parked outside most of the time, you should consider claying the paint using Meguiar's Quik Clay System.

When your truck is parked outside most of the time, or even part of the time, airborne contaminants land on your trucks finish and if not removed in a timely manner, they will actually bond to the finish. This will diminish gloss and cloud the clear coat hiding the true color of the paint under the clear coat. Detailing clay safely removes these above bonded contaminants restoring a smooth as new glass surface which will restore the gloss to your truck's paint. Claying will also enable a cleaner/wax like ColorX to do a more efficient job of cleaning the paint.

If your truck is parked outside most or all of the time, we whole heartedly recommend claying first, before applying any wax.

After claying, you can opt for any of the below options and you will dramatically improve the appearance of your trucks finish before the car show this coming weekend.

ColorX
            ColorX is a strong cleaner/wax and will do a great job of restoring clarity and gloss to your trucks paint. Apply two coats of ColorX back to back. (Remove the first application before applying the second application). If you cannot clay the finish, the ColorX will help to remove a lot of the above surface bonded contaminants and any surface oxidation and staining of the paint. A second coat will build on the results of the first coat and take your overall results to a higher level.
            • * Wash your car first
              * Shake well before applying
              * Apply and work the product in well over all painted areas using a foam wax applicator pad
              * Allow the wax to dry, usually about 10 to 15 minutes.
              * Remove using a clean, soft 100% cotton towel or premium quality microfiber polishing cloth
              * Apply second coat in the same above manner

NXT Tech Wax
            NXT Tech Wax is a pure synthetic wax with the ability to eliminate fine swirls and scratches. It contains a very, very sleight amount of a specialized cleaner but there is not enough of it, and it is not strong enough to make this wax what we call a cleaner/wax. However, if you apply two coats of this and really work it against the finish, you will be able to get great results on a finish like your truck has. Same as above,
            • * Wash your car first
              * Shake well before applying
              * Apply and work the product in well over all painted areas using a foam wax applicator pad
              * Allow the wax to dry, usually about 10 to 15 minutes.
              * Remove using a clean, soft 100% cotton towel or premium quality microfiber polishing cloth
              * Apply second coat in the same above manner

Besides the paint work, if possible try to wash and clean your tires and wheels really well and before the show apply a tire dressing to bring out the rich black look of the rubber for finishing touch on the overall look of your truck. If you want a lot of shine, try our new Insane Shine Tire Coating

Best wishes for your success and hope you have some fun in the process, also good luck at the show, be sure to come back and tell us how you do and if possible share a few photos!
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');