• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rail Dust Removal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail Dust Removal Help

Hello!

I am going to be detailing my white Mazda CX-5 gt in the next week or no. I noticed some rail dust when I washed it last week. I have never had to remove this, and I am not sure what to use. What is the easiest method to use? Claybar? I also saw that there is a new synthetic clay mitt. Has anyone ever used anyone of these?

What grade clay/mitt would I want? I was looking at the Meguiars claykit. I really don't want to scuff my paint and have to polish out the panel (don't have a DA.)

Any recommendations? What do you all use?

Re: Rail Dust Removal Help

An iron remover is what you are looking for to attack iron deposits from rail dust chemically. Followed by a clay bar it will remove it.

There are clay alternatives that can be used in place of a clay bar. Claying in general can induce marring onto the surface. It is more noticeable with a clay alternative. A polish or cleaner wax can remove the marring even if applied by hand.

The Megiar's clay kit is available at most auto parts stores.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I have used clay and a Nanoskin mitt. My preference is clay as I found the skin unnecessarily marred the surface. I occasionally use the skin on my older cars, just to save my good clay.

Comment

we use Nanoskin AutoScrub Fine Grade we rarely get marring but we use lots soapy lubrication though.

Comment

If it is really bad, or even just for my after winter cleaning, I'll use IronX (and there are similar products out there) first... seems to help a lot. Or even IronX then TarX...

So IronX, Wash, Clay, then whatever after...
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');