• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removal of etched sap spots on hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removal of etched sap spots on hood

I just purchased a 2014 Honda accord with black metalflake paint

Once the dealership cleaned up the car there are multiple sap etching spots on the hood. I tried achohol and it would not do anything to these spots as they are etched to the clearcoat and probably been there for several years

I am thinking clay first then,wet sanding the hood then use a rotary buffer with a wool pad to bring the shine back. followed by M105 and M205 applied by a dual action buffer. If this doesnt work I guess I am looking at a repainting of the hood.

These seem to be etched into the clearcoat so I am not sure if this will work. I guess I could try a 1x1 test area to see.

Has anyone had any experience with etched in sap spots. these are not new and could even be from acid rain.

Does wet sanding sound like the correct route to go ?

I will be a while getting to this as I just got out of the hospital with a heart bypass, but I would like to get some opinions

Re: removal of etched sap spots on hood

I would at least try a couple sections with DA and M105, followed by M205.
    It might save you a lot of work. Or you may get an idea of which level of defected areas need to be sanded and which can be corrected with just compound/polishing.
    =============

On the other point. From my personal experience.
    Give that split sternum a chance to heal.

Make sure Auto Club is current. Let them change tires for a while. Ask me how I know.

It's over simplifying it, yet some one had to gain access to your heart through your chest and had to sew new blood vessels to it. Balance as you go forward.

Comment

Re: removal of etched sap spots on hood

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
      I would at least try a couple sections with DA and M105, followed by M205.
      It might save you a lot of work. Or you may get an idea of which level of defected areas need to be sanded and which can be corrected with just compound/polishing.
      =============

On the other point. From my personal experience.
      Give that split sternum a chance to heal.

Make sure Auto Club is current. Let them change tires for a while. Ask me how I know.

It's over simplifying it, yet some one had to gain access to your heart through your chest and had to sew new blood vessels to it. Balance as you go forward.

Thanks Old Bear, I am just planning at this point ,It will have to wait a couple months before I move forward with doing the actual work . Sounds like you had experience , I am taking it slow !

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');