• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question with Ultimate Compound (never used before)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question with Ultimate Compound (never used before)

I just got a 2015 Mazda 6 Sport, and I wanted to get rid of some scratches and to protect the paint by shining it up. I've been researching online and Meguiars products comes up a lot and I was interested in trying the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, then ultimate polish, and ultimate liquid wax. We will be doing this all by hand and I just want to make sure how to do this, I've watched videos but my main concern is I don't want to damage the paint by using a compound, is this supposed to avoid hurting the clear coat? I understand the steps are to wash your car prior to using the compound, i saw they carry a wash/wax or a gold wash, is either fine? I figured the wash/wax would be good for future washes. I know you remove the compound before it dries, then do you add the Polish right after? Then remove the left over polish? Ive at leasted waxed before so I can handle that part. For washing, compound, poilishing and waxing is it better to use foam or microfiber materials?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Question with Ultimate Compound (never used before)

We will be doing this all by hand
    How bad are the scratches, how many, all over?

if it is bad, or needs some work, you may end up doing a panel each tine you wash, or something like that. By hand may take a few passes, so more tiring...

is this supposed to avoid hurting the clear coat?
    Yes those products are all clear coat safe... but you want good quality applicators and even pressure as well.

I understand the steps are to wash your car prior to using the compound, i saw they carry a wash/wax or a gold wash, is either fine? I figured the wash/wax would be good for future washes.
    Yeah, the wash and wax costs more, so no reason to use it then detail. Personally, I would use Gold Class Wash all the time. Then for future washes, I would look at Ult Quick Wax while doing a final drying wipe... Better wax coat to leave behind.

Also, dont forget claying if you never have before. Big difference.

I know you remove the compound before it dries, then do you add the Polish right after? Then remove the left over polish?
    Yeah, you can... as noted above, it depends how you break it up, time you have to work, etc. Could do one panel at a time (compound/polish/wax), whole car, or some other break down.

Maybe wash, clay, spray wax the whole car... then do a panel each day or two with a little wash of the panel, compound, polish, wax.... just up to you. Like I said, wont be fast to do right.

And yes, remove the polish before drying as well.

For washing, compound, polishing and waxing is it better to use foam or microfiber materials?
    Bit of everything really....

I tend to wash with a microfiber mitt, dry with microfiber waffle weave towels. By hand I would apply using the small round yellow foam applicator pads... remove products with a microfiber towel.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

How bad are the scratches, how many, all over?

if it is bad, or needs some work, you may end up doing a panel each tine you wash, or something like that. By hand may take a few passes, so more tiring...
      Most the ones I saw are pretty light, mainly on the top of the Trunk, it looks like someone put something on it and slide it off. There are 2 more visible scratches that I'm not sure will fully disappear, one on the hood and one on the trunk. My Car just to mention is a Charcoal color. I would post a picture but I need to wash it first as its dirty due to weather and wouldn't show up well.

When I was buying my products I couldn't find the Gold Class Car Wash you mentioned, I did find the Wash/Wax one so I got that one. I also couldn't find any of the foam pads at O'Reilly's or Walmart, I could only find either Terry or Microfiber type Pads. I looked in the area where they sell the products, would they be anywhere else? I did get plenty of Microfiber towels for wiping the products off and a large one for drying. Also got a Microfiber Mitt to use for washing.

Comment

Well, if there is just a few areas to focus on, you could use the Ult. Compound on them, then Ult Polish everything. Dont need to UC everything.

Yeah, I think I have gotten a lot of foam ones online... True for a lot of products really, soap and such included...

MF can work if good quality brand... dont want terry cloth.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I will try to focus on the scratches then with UC and then polish it all to see how it turns out. I will have to look more into the Pads.

Thanks for your advice

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');