• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 Maxima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Maxima

Here are a few pictures of my 1998 Maxima. The car has 99,000 miles on it. The car is detailed about every 3 - 4 months, so I had a good finish to start with.

I washed it first with Dawn
    Quik Clay Detailing
    Using my Porter Cable 7224, I then used
    D.A.C.P. with the W - 7000 series pad
    Followed by 3M SMR with a Yellow W - 8006 pad
    the finished off with Medallion Premium Paint Protectant with the W - 9000 finishing pad.

I used the Ultimate Bonnet M-9920 to remove each step of polish, and then I wiped down with the Ultimate Wipe, M-9910.

Two questions I have. How should I clean my micro fiber bonnet and wipes? Instead of using the MPPP as my last step, if I had used the new NXT Tech wax, would it remove the 3M SMR I applied or enhanced the finish as the MPPP did?

Mike
    Attached Files

More Picts

More of the Max
    Attached Files

Comment

98 Max

Another one
      Attached Files

Comment

Just a few more
        Attached Files

Comment

only 2 more
          Attached Files

Comment

Last one. Thanks for looking!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey TwisterSpecial,

the car looks great! Your last pic is cool with your son in it, cute kid I really like MPPP, easy on , easy off, awesome shine and great protection!

Man, what is up with those Mastercraft tires bro?? get those off and get you some BFG Radials or Michelins man, do some cornering with that car!! lol j/k man Nice work,,,,,deadman98

Comment

Wash you bonnets and polising cloths in hot water with a laundry detergent like Tide.

Dry in the dryer without a fabric softner.

Why wash with Dawn? Use a car wash formulated for cars and leave Dawn in the kitchen to remove food off plates.

Application of a wax will not remove any previous product, any more than what you have already wiped off the surface with a towel or microfiber.

Mike
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great looking car Twister, but I agree with Mike about the use of Dawn...There's nothing like a washing a car with Gold Class or NXT.
                  r. b.

Comment

Mike/Rusty Bumper,

Thanks for the responses and comments. I normally use the Soft Wash Gel, but on the first wash after winter, I always have used Dawn. I guess it is a habit I have followed since 1985, when I first started using Meguiars products, and I just continue to use Dawn today. I have purchased the NXT wash, and will be using it the rest of the year. I will give the NXT wash a shot on my wife’s Tahoe when I wash it this weekend instead of Dawn.

I will try the NXT wax as my last step instead of the MPPP next time to see if it looks and protects as good as the MPPP. My concern on using the NXT after the first 2 polishing steps of my process, it will actually clean the paint, and allow more scratches to show up. I could not remove all of the scratches/swirls with the D.A.C.P. and 3M SMR (I can see them if the light is just right, and I guess I am to picky) and I thought the NXT would magnify them by removing some of the fillers I used.

A question then, can I apply the NXT with the W - 9000 finishing pad with my PC 7424 set on a low speed, say 1 and remove the NXT with the Ultimate Bonnet M-9920 after the wax dries?

Deadman98,

I looked at getting some BFG's but for the price I paid for the Mastercrafts, I could not pass them up. They have about 50k on them now, so in a few months, I will be looking to upgrade and having more fun in the corners. I miss my wife's M3 though, it was real fun playing with drivers in the corners and on the straights.

Mike

Comment

Nice

I really don't need another type of wax, but after looking at your photos it looks like I am going to have to give MPPP a try..

Ugh....more money gone

Comment

in that last photo with your son..........is that a microfiber teddybear hes using?

car looks great!
                        2019 GMC Sierra
                        1500 AT4

Comment

I will try the NXT wax as my last step instead of the MPPP next time to see if it looks and protects as good as the MPPP. My concern on using the NXT after the first 2 polishing steps of my process, it will actually clean the paint, and allow more scratches to show up. I could not remove all of the scratches/swirls with the D.A.C.P. and 3M SMR (I can see them if the light is just right, and I guess I am to picky) and I thought the NXT would magnify them by removing some of the fillers I used.

On the contrary, NXT will hide any swirls, probably better than any of the polishes...At least that's what I've been hearing.

A question then, can I apply the NXT with the W - 9000 finishing pad with my PC 7424 set on a low speed, say 1 and remove the NXT with the Ultimate Bonnet M-9920 after the wax dries?

#1 speed might be a little low, but a 3 would do the job ok...You can then use the UB to remove it with, but be sure to use a clean, dry pad to mount the UB on.
                          r. b.

Comment

R.B.

I thought I saw at some point in different discussions, that the 9000 series pad is not suitable for NXT application because it tends to 'gum up' the pad?

Mike

Comment

Ihaven't had any trouble with a finishing pad gumming up and I do a fuul size 4 dooor truck which would be close to twice the surface area as a car. maybe they had the pc set to high? maybe the weather could have something to do with that?
                              2019 GMC Sierra
                              1500 AT4

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');