• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand Waxing Vs. Machine Waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Waxing Vs. Machine Waxing

What is more efficient and has a better shine if used by a professional ?

Hi SPEED_DEMON,

Seeing how this is your first post... Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

The machine applied product will always outperform and out appear the hand applied product.

Machines don't get tired or loose enthusiasm, your hands will. You hands basically equal 4 pressure points pushing down on a pad where a machine will evenly distribute force over a later surface area.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Hand Waxing Vs. Machine Waxing

Originally posted by SPEED_DEMON
      What is more efficient and has a better shine if used by a professional ?

I can speak for a PC first hand (professional or not) ...

I have had my polisher for several years now and until I bought it I was getting "OK" results. The PC has given FAR better results... deeper/wetter/all around better looking. With a PC you can apply a cleaner then polish then wax in the time it will take you to do one step by hand.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

gb387 is right. The results are amazing. There really isnt much comparison. Also, if there are and swirls or defects in the paint, you can get them out 100 times easier and with better results as well. I have used mine about 10 times now and it paid for itself after the first one.
        "I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Yep, a machine is far better at providing a richness, a liquid look and gloss to the paint that hand application simply can not match!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

If I use W-9006 finishing pad and run my rotary at 600rpm to apply NXT Tech Wax, will I thin out my paintwork after some time?
            zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Originally posted by zey
              If I use W-9006 finishing pad and run my rotary at 600rpm to apply NXT Tech Wax, will I thin out my paintwork after some time?
              I typically use a pc to apply wax at a low rpm to put a uniform coat of wax on the vehicle. I use a rotary for those times when paint needs repairing or when a rotary is the only tool that will accomplish the job. 90% of the time, a pc with the right Meg's pads and products will complete the job.
              Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by zey
                Meguiar's NXT Wax is not designed to be used with a rotary buffer.

Though the actual amount may be minimal, at even 600 rpm, the rotary's direct drive nature will place more wear on the finish than a PC at higher speeds, IMHO.

I use the rotary 90% of the time, but I always finish with the PC for my Last Step Products.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I've taken to applying my first coat of NXT via PC and the second coat, a day later, by hand. I believe I get a better look doing it this way but appearance is highly subjective and I'm an old school guy anyway. Hand application is my therapy.

There is no doubt that a PC applies a much more even, uniform coating.
                  Jim
                  My Gallery

Comment

I just feel like I become "one with the boat" when I do it all by hand. The fact that I don't have a clue on how to use a buffer may be part of it, but it's a lot of "Zen" work, doing it by hand. The only time it gets frustrating is when the boat's finish is so far gone, that a buffer is the only way to help it. And until Scott Clarke can come up here to show me how to use one, I have a couple boats that I can't even touch.
                    Vanity
                    Automotive and Marine Detailing
                    "Because when you want everyone to look at your car or boat's shine, that's Vanity."

Comment

Thanks guys! I just washed my car and applied #80 with W-8006 pad onto the bonnet at 600-900rpm. I find that I can never achieve 100% swirl-free finish (at most 70-80%). I hardly face this problem when I polish metallic silver or dark silver color car. It takes me 30-40 seconds for each 2'X2' area because I'm worried of buffing it dry. After that, I applied a layer of #16 by hand, and it turned out to be 90% swirl-free. Mind you, it's a solid black two-stage paintwork, swirls are easily spotted. In my mind, can I make a conclusion that:

1) Rotary is meant for paint correction (e.g. removing acid rain pits, bird dropping etching, light scratches, etc...).

2) To produce almost 100% swirl-free finish, PC/hand application is the way.

Please comment on my conclusion and also suggest the best practice. Thanks!
                      zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');