• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing New Car

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I'm also new to detailing. I recently bought a Subaru Impreza back in March. I want to polish and wax my new car for a nice brilliant shine for the summer. I am going to be using Meguiars Gold Class Carnuaba Wax but I am not sure which polish to use between Meguiars Ultimate Polish or Meguiars Classic Polishing Compound. My cars paint is in good shape yet. No contamination, swirl marks, scratches, or water spots.

Re: Polishing New Car

Originally posted by Cestremera View Post
    Hey guys I'm new to the forums and I'm also new to detailing. I recently bought a Subaru Impreza back in March. I want to polish and wax my new car for a nice brilliant shine for the summer. I am going to be using Meguiars Gold Class Carnuaba Wax but I am not sure which polish to use between Meguiars Ultimate Polish or Meguiars Classic Polishing Compound. My cars paint is in good shape yet. No contamination, swirl marks, scratches, or water spots.
    I'd pick the Ult Polish probably.. seems easy to use, give a nice gloss.

As a side note, if you have never clayed before, you may want to consider it. I thought i knew what a smooth surface was the first time, but tried it anyway. Then it was even smoother...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you Murr1525! If I clay bar my entire car? Should I buy Meguiars Clay Bar Kit? Also, what is the difference between UP and Meguiars Classic Polishing Compound?

Comment

Originally posted by Cestremera View Post
        Thank you Murr1525! If I clay bar my entire car? Should I buy Meguiars Clay Bar Kit? Also, what is the difference between UP and Meguiars Classic Polishing Compound?
        Yeah, I would expect to do the whole car (and glass)... wont take long, its really just spray QD for lubricant and wipe the bar around. Just break the bar into smaller pieces, and maybe work over some towels or something.. dont want to drop the bar on the driveway and then use it, it will grab all the stones.

The clay kit is good to start with... One bar in there would last me a couple years if i dont drop the pieces. And if you clay while the car surface is wet (like in the shade with the hose, or in the rain...), you'll use less of the QD spray.

The Polishing Compound is going to be a bit stronger as far as cleaning and swirl removal ability. However if working by hand, I wouldnt pick that. I would want Ult. Compound by hand if i had to do something.

The Ult Polish is going to be a milder cleaner, but more oils to leave behind on the paint.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

^^ Agreed.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');