2018 ceramic coating concensus?

Thread: 2018 ceramic coating concensus?

2018 ceramic coating concensus?

I did some searching but didn't find a lot on the topic here. What do you guys think about ceramic coatings now that they have been on the market long enough to exceed their claimed lifespans?

My initial concerns are:
    1) I keep my cars a long time, so I want the ability to work on future defects. Ceramic effectively prevents this. Althogh ceramic claims it prevents the defects in the first place.
    2) If you have to replace a panel after a collision how does the body shop match the color exactly? And how could they color blend over ceramic-treated panels?
    3) I have read it must be sanded off to be removed. Thus reducing the factory clearcoat, correct? On a collector car with original paint that could be a big turn-off.

Aside from the above: Does it work as well as advertised? and for as long? The top coats seem a lot like the same labor as waxing your car in a conventional sense, so where is the ceramic maintainence advantage?

Appreciate your responses.
    www.ebsart.com

2007 Z4 M Coupe, Titanium Silver with Imola Red, black and silver interior
    -for details: www.mymcoupe.com

Re: 2018 ceramic coating concensus?

Quote Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
    I did some searching but didn't find a lot on the topic here. What do you guys think about ceramic coatings now that they have been on the market long enough to exceed their claimed lifespans?

My initial concerns are:
    1) I keep my cars a long time, so I want the ability to work on future defects. Ceramic effectively prevents this. Althogh ceramic claims it prevents the defects in the first place.
    There is a lot of information over on Autogeek and Autopia with regards to coatings. In short coatings are not the end all be all. They still require maintenance.

Coatings are not scratch proof and are still susceptible to swirls. Proper washing techniques are important to limit any wash induced marring. As marring is still going to happen.

Coatings have the benefit of the self cleaning effect which will make washing easier. Coatings still get contaminated and require a different method of decontamination in chemical rather than mechanical (clay).

Manufactures claim the durability in years. For the most part coatings will outlast a wax or sealant. But like a wax or sealant, the durability of a coating is going to be affected by the environment it is exposed to. For example someone will experience longer durability in California compared to someone who lives in the harsh winter climates.

2) If you have to replace a panel after a collision how does the body shop match the color exactly? And how could they color blend over ceramic-treated panels?
    A consumer grade coating can and will be removed with abrasion. Such as an abrasive polish. They form a thin layer, yet a thicker layer than a wax or sealant. Mention it to the body shop or prep the panels before the vehicle is dropped off.

3) I have read it must be sanded off to be removed. Thus reducing the factory clearcoat, correct? On a collector car with original paint that could be a big turn-off.

Aside from the above: Does it work as well as advertised? and for as long? The top coats seem a lot like the same labor as waxing your car in a conventional sense, so where is the ceramic maintainence advantage?
    Again most consumer grade coatings can be removed with abrasion. There are professional level coatings that require sanding but not all of them.

Coatings work as advertised as long as one goes in knowing their pros and cons. The prep is more labor intensive. The durability is going to vary based on the environment it is exposed to and how well it is maintained.

Head over to the other forms as I just gave you the short version and there are many more of us there who use coatings. You won't find may here as Meguiar's does not sell a coating in the US market.

The people I work for, have me maintain their cars annually, or bi-annually. I must have over sold them on the polymer that they don't even care to try the coating.

I have some, just haven't used it yet...

Registered Member

Call me crazy but i actually enjoy the polishing and waxing aspect of maintaining my vehicle, plus i have too many Meg's products that would go to waste should i elect to go Ceramic.

Thread Information