• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 ceramic coating concensus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 ceramic coating concensus?

I did some searching but didn't find a lot on the topic here. What do you guys think about ceramic coatings now that they have been on the market long enough to exceed their claimed lifespans?

My initial concerns are:
    1) I keep my cars a long time, so I want the ability to work on future defects. Ceramic effectively prevents this. Althogh ceramic claims it prevents the defects in the first place.
    2) If you have to replace a panel after a collision how does the body shop match the color exactly? And how could they color blend over ceramic-treated panels?
    3) I have read it must be sanded off to be removed. Thus reducing the factory clearcoat, correct? On a collector car with original paint that could be a big turn-off.

Aside from the above: Does it work as well as advertised? and for as long? The top coats seem a lot like the same labor as waxing your car in a conventional sense, so where is the ceramic maintainence advantage?

Appreciate your responses.
    www.ebsart.com

2007 Z4 M Coupe, Titanium Silver with Imola Red, black and silver interior
    -for details: www.mymcoupe.com

Re: 2018 ceramic coating concensus?

Originally posted by Palantirion View Post
    I did some searching but didn't find a lot on the topic here. What do you guys think about ceramic coatings now that they have been on the market long enough to exceed their claimed lifespans?

My initial concerns are:
    1) I keep my cars a long time, so I want the ability to work on future defects. Ceramic effectively prevents this. Althogh ceramic claims it prevents the defects in the first place.
    There is a lot of information over on Autogeek and Autopia with regards to coatings. In short coatings are not the end all be all. They still require maintenance.

Coatings are not scratch proof and are still susceptible to swirls. Proper washing techniques are important to limit any wash induced marring. As marring is still going to happen.

Coatings have the benefit of the self cleaning effect which will make washing easier. Coatings still get contaminated and require a different method of decontamination in chemical rather than mechanical (clay).

Manufactures claim the durability in years. For the most part coatings will outlast a wax or sealant. But like a wax or sealant, the durability of a coating is going to be affected by the environment it is exposed to. For example someone will experience longer durability in California compared to someone who lives in the harsh winter climates.

2) If you have to replace a panel after a collision how does the body shop match the color exactly? And how could they color blend over ceramic-treated panels?
    A consumer grade coating can and will be removed with abrasion. Such as an abrasive polish. They form a thin layer, yet a thicker layer than a wax or sealant. Mention it to the body shop or prep the panels before the vehicle is dropped off.

3) I have read it must be sanded off to be removed. Thus reducing the factory clearcoat, correct? On a collector car with original paint that could be a big turn-off.

Aside from the above: Does it work as well as advertised? and for as long? The top coats seem a lot like the same labor as waxing your car in a conventional sense, so where is the ceramic maintainence advantage?
    Again most consumer grade coatings can be removed with abrasion. There are professional level coatings that require sanding but not all of them.

Coatings work as advertised as long as one goes in knowing their pros and cons. The prep is more labor intensive. The durability is going to vary based on the environment it is exposed to and how well it is maintained.

Head over to the other forms as I just gave you the short version and there are many more of us there who use coatings. You won't find may here as Meguiar's does not sell a coating in the US market.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

The people I work for, have me maintain their cars annually, or bi-annually. I must have over sold them on the polymer that they don't even care to try the coating.

I have some, just haven't used it yet...

Comment

Call me crazy but i actually enjoy the polishing and waxing aspect of maintaining my vehicle, plus i have too many Meg's products that would go to waste should i elect to go Ceramic.

Comment

I'm getting a new car soon. I love using Meguiar's ULW on my cars. The surface is smooth & slippery & it is easy to apply & looks great to me.

I have SunTEK PPF on the hood, bumper, front fenders & mirror backs & the ULW works just as well on that PPF.

As I shop around Phoenix, Scottsdale AZ for a shop to apply PPF to my new car when it arrives, everyone wants to sell me a ceramic coating to be applied on top of the PPF. Very expensive. > $1,000. I've read the claims that it "repels dust" which is hard to believe. Also, it must be re-applied ~every 3 years.

It just does not seem to be that much better vs. me doing the ULW. Other than lasting longer between applications will it "repel" dust better than ULW?
          It is dusty out here & there is often a fine layer of dust on my cars that I can mostly remove using California Car Duster between washes.

I alway clay my car b4 using ULW.

Comment

Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
            I'm getting a new car soon. I love using Meguiar's ULW on my cars. The surface is smooth & slippery & it is easy to apply & looks great to me.

I have SunTEK PPF on the hood, bumper, front fenders & mirror backs & the ULW works just as well on that PPF.

As I shop around Phoenix, Scottsdale AZ for a shop to apply PPF to my new car when it arrives, everyone wants to sell me a ceramic coating to be applied on top of the PPF. Very expensive. > $1,000. I've read the claims that it "repels dust" which is hard to believe. Also, it must be re-applied ~every 3 years.

It just does not seem to be that much better vs. me doing the ULW. Other than lasting longer between applications will it "repel" dust better than ULW?
            It is dusty out here & there is often a fine layer of dust on my cars that I can mostly remove using California Car Duster between washes.

I alway clay my car b4 using ULW.
            If you like using ULW and it works for you then keep on using it. Nothing wrong with it. In general a coating is going to look cleaner longer than a wax or sealant. If one lives in a very dusty environment then it does not really matter.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

So, do you think dust will stick to ULW surface more than dust sticks to ceramic coated surface?
              For example, 1 month after application.

Comment

So, do you think dust will stick to ULW surface more than dust sticks to ceramic coated surface?
                For example, 1 month after application.
                Hard to really say. A coating is not a miracle product. My cars are all ceramic coated and I haven't used ULW in a long time. It is good but for me the protection of a ceramic coating is what I was looking for. The ease of maintenance is another thing as well as staying cleaner longer and and having a better self cleaning effect. ULW is a great sealant and does a good job.

Another thing to consider is fighting dust is a losing battle. I learned that a long time ago. It does get dusty here in So Cal and I end up washing weekly without worrying about dust during the week. I choose to not risk touching the paint more than I need to so that I avoid swirls and what not.

If you are one that likes applying a wax or sealant on a regular basis then coating may not be for you.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

I always like to post this when it comes to ceramic coatings:

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                    Hard to really say. A coating is not a miracle product. My cars are all ceramic coated and I haven't used ULW in a long time. It is good but for me the protection of a ceramic coating is what I was looking for. The ease of maintenance is another thing as well as staying cleaner longer and and having a better self cleaning effect. ULW is a great sealant and does a good job.

Another thing to consider is fighting dust is a losing battle. I learned that a long time ago. It does get dusty here in So Cal and I end up washing weekly without worrying about dust during the week. I choose to not risk touching the paint more than I need to so that I avoid swirls and what not.

If you are one that likes applying a wax or sealant on a regular basis then coating may not be for you.
                    "Staying Clean longer"

How vs. Sealant?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by snozan View Post
                      Thanks!

Seems like a big expense & a permanent change to the paint for only 2 years of protection/shine.

Comment

There is some valid points but there is also a lot of generalization. Not to mention that his company is a wax company so he has to promote his brand. There are always two sides to a story.

"Staying Clean longer"

How vs. Sealant?

Thanks!
                        In short a better self cleaning effect.

Thanks!

Seems like a big expense & a permanent change to the paint for only 2 years of protection/shine.
                        Do it yourself and the expense is not bad. Pay a professional and it will cost you. The professional is charging you the labor. Paint is going to need a polish either once or twice a year and thus a consumer coating would in my opinion be the best way to go.
                        99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                          There is some valid points but there is also a lot of generalization. Not to mention that his company is a wax company so he has to promote his brand. There are always two sides to a story.
                          Yes i agree it was a "should i, or should i not" post this. I watched it with a open mind. Only focus on what he said, not from where he was. However he could if he wanted without any problem use ceramic on all cars, he seemded like a person who had those kinda money. But he didnt
                          And he didnt say "use swiss wax" in fact, there was no pictures whatsoever on his products. He just explained. And i thought he did it very good.

Me myself and i, wwould never use a ceramic coating (dont count the new meguiars product a coating). polish a car i way to fun to live withoput

Comment

Yes i agree it was a "should i, or should i not" post this. I watched it with a open mind. Only focus on what he said, not from where he was. However he could if he wanted without any problem use ceramic on all cars, he seemded like a person who had those kinda money. But he didnt
                            And he didnt say "use swiss wax" in fact, there was no pictures whatsoever on his products. He just explained. And i thought he did it very good.

Me myself and i, wwould never use a ceramic coating (dont count the new meguiars product a coating). polish a car i way to fun to live withoput
                            Most coatings can be polished off anyway. There is only a couple that I know of that needed to be sanded off and they are professional/authorized installers only. All products have their pros and cons. Coatings are not miracle products that is what one has to keep in mind.

Like Mike Phillips says, find something you like and use it often.
                            99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');