I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member GLOCKer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ATL, GA
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    8

    I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    I managed to pick up a smooth running 1998 Ford Explorer Limited with a 302 V8 with under 160,000 miles for free! The bones are good! But she needs a lot of love.

    INTERIOR:
    The biggest problem that I need to tackle is that the interior has an ANT problem! It's been parked for roughly 2 to 3 years and sometime during that time, ants have taken advantage of food items left behind. For now I'm going to totally empty project "Exploder" out and throw some ant bait traps in there. But do you guys have any suggestions (and/or specific products) to recommend for an ant problem?

    The second thing I need advice with are the leather seats. They are in relatively okay shape but need TLC. There is some red paint on the drivers seat (about a 4"x4" spot) and grime. The driver seat has a little of that cracking you see in older leather seats but it's not too awful. What can I do to clean these things up?

    There are some of those fake wood apliques on various parts of the interior; on a vehicle this old, can they be removed and the surface underneath cleaned up?

    I also plan on shampooing the carpet, cleaning every surface of the dash and center console, and repairing a broken driver door handle lock.

    EXTERIOR:
    It has 2 to 3 years of Georgia pollen and other miscellaneous grime caked onto the exterior. The paint seems to be okay under the nastiness as far as I can tell. I'm thinking a good wash followed by a compound, polish, and wax. My neighbor has a pressure washer; will this be okay for blasting the grime off the wheels and body? I'll be replacing the driver side-view mirror, and painting the faded "B" pillar. Any recommendations on how to freshen up some of the exterior trim?

    I want to get this thing looking very nice, but with-in reason. I have a 2014 Mustang GT that takes up one half of my garage and my wife's car takes up the other side. So at the end of the day, this Exploder will be a run-around vehicle for the rainy days my Mustang show-car stays in the garage. So after all of the hard work, it's going to be stored in the driveway.

    She's ugly, but she can be saved; and the way the motor runs, she's definitely worth the sweat equity! Thank you and wish me good luck!













    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

  2. #2
    Registered Member Old Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    San Juan Capistrano CA
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    Glocker
    Please make sure children or pets can't get to the ant bait.

  3. #3
    Registered Member GLOCKer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ATL, GA
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    Glocker
    Please make sure children or pets can't get to the ant bait.
    I'm actually going to do the ant bait thing while the truck is still parked at my office. That way I don't have to drive this thing home while being eaten by ants!
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

  4. #4
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,543
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
    INTERIOR:
    The biggest problem that I need to tackle is that the interior has an ANT problem! It's been parked for roughly 2 to 3 years and sometime during that time, ants have taken advantage of food items left behind. For now I'm going to totally empty project "Exploder" out and throw some ant bait traps in there. But do you guys have any suggestions (and/or specific products) to recommend for an ant problem?
    Yikes! Unfortunately we do not have any specific ANT problem remedies. If it were me, I probably would not even use ant bait traps. It would be best before you clean, to identify where they are entering in the cabin from, and then address it from there. Then clean the interior as best you can. I guess it depends on how bad it is. Don't forget to change the cabin air filter, if it has one.

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
    The second thing I need advice with are the leather seats. They are in relatively okay shape but need TLC. There is some red paint on the drivers seat (about a 4"x4" spot) and grime. The driver seat has a little of that cracking you see in older leather seats but it's not too awful. What can I do to clean these things up?
    Meguiar's G18516 Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner is a great dedicated leather cleaner even for seats which have a lot of embedded grime. If you have some D101 All Purpose Cleaner, this would also work. It is recommended at 10:1 for leather. Follow with a quality conditioner. I think I would use our G7214 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner. It is a lotion format.

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
    There are some of those fake wood apliques on various parts of the interior; on a vehicle this old, can they be removed and the surface underneath cleaned up?
    I am sure they can be, but I do not know how. Maybe YouTube?

    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKer View Post
    EXTERIOR:
    It has 2 to 3 years of Georgia pollen and other miscellaneous grime caked onto the exterior. The paint seems to be okay under the nastiness as far as I can tell. I'm thinking a good wash followed by a compound, polish, and wax. My neighbor has a pressure washer; will this be okay for blasting the grime off the wheels and body? I'll be replacing the driver side-view mirror, and painting the faded "B" pillar. Any recommendations on how to freshen up some of the exterior trim
    Don't forget to clay. I would imagine you just forgot to include this in your description. Meguiar's G15812 Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer gel would be my recommendation for the exterior non painted plastic trim.

    Hope this helps! Keep us posted!

    Nick
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

  5. #5
    Registered Member GLOCKer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    ATL, GA
    Posts
    306
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    Thank you!
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

  6. #6
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Ventura County
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: I have a new project, but I could use some guidance!!!!

    Dangit Glocker...this was seriously going to be the title of the post I'm about to do. hahaha

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I need guidance
    By Chubbz91 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 13th, 2011, 03:39 AM
  2. Checking in for some guidance
    By gmitch23 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 21st, 2011, 11:53 AM
  3. New to detailing and need guidance.
    By glsmall in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov 16th, 2010, 02:26 PM
  4. Just Starting Out - Looking For Guidance
    By bd832 in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
  5. Guidance Please
    By plh in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 30th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •