• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought a project car, tried a few things, could use some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a project car, tried a few things, could use some advice...

Hey All,

Bought an 07 Toyota Matrix back in January. Totally neglected car and paint but it runs great! Working on paint correction now.

- has deep linear scratches on hood and roof in addition to all the smaller swirl marks and smaller scratches.

- Previous damaged drivers door repaired in parking lot with a rattle can from what seller told me.

- had buddy fix the dent and painted the 2 front doors and rear bumper to match. He also applied two layers of clear coat knowing I would be working on it more.

- Clay barred the whole car and now it's smooth.

Decided to try compounding before I tried wet sanding the deeper scratches out.

- Used D300 and a MF pad on roof to remove smaller scratches and clean paint.

- small scratches gone but now I see a lot of hard water/acid rain etching.

- Did another 4 pass set on same area, hard water/etching still there but the paint is shiny!

- tried M105 with MF pad on same area and etching still there

- Last try was with M105 and the Meg's foam cutting pad. Nada

Did all this with a PC. So is this the time I should consider wet sanding the roof and hood (Which also was in same condition as roof.)

Re: Bought a project car, tried a few things, could use some advice...

I just completed a paint correction on original paint 20 year old German hard clear coat. Had swirls, moderate scratches, and other defects everywhere as the car is a driver. I have a PC 7424 DA and it was quite effective with the right pads.

I first used M2 fine cut cleaner and got the swirls out easily with 5" orange pads, but didn't do much to scratches. I switched to M105 and smaller 3" orange pads. With pressure and patience I was able to get most of the defects out. I basically did one pass on every panel with this technique

Learn how to use Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound and Meguiar's M205 Ultra Finishing Polish using a Porter Cable 7424 XP buffer. Todd shows you how this polish combination eliminates swirls and other imperfections. Read about proper technique and step by step instructions on how to the...

and then a second "spot" pass on specific scratches that didn't come out. Besides road rash damage which was most of my hood, I was able to get a nice "glass like" finish. My paint/clear is quite thick as my car was one of the last that was hand assembled and painted so hand a lot to work with.

I am sold on M105. I was skeptical to put pressure, but when you do and and trust the DA and the product to work, it will take the defects out.

Comment

Re: Bought a project car, tried a few things, could use some advice...

Thanks for your reply. I actually took the car to one of Meguiar's Thursday Night Open Garage. After my 3.5 hour !@@#*&!@#!!!! drive through LA traffic, both Nick and I think the other attendee named Chris showed me how to remove or at least make them not so noticeable. We used the M100 with a microfiber pad. Yes compounding this really worked! I finished the rest of the scratches at my home the following weekend. That drive was worth it! Can barely see scratched if at all and most of the acid rain/hard water spots are not as noticeable as well....

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');