• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint chips - Dr Colorchip still the way to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paint chips - Dr Colorchip still the way to go?

Have you been able to repeat the application process 4 to 6 times to build up the paint in deeper scratches?

Comment

I like automotivetouchup.com - excellent durability and hardness....just like the factory finish.
      This is impressive considering it's a one-part finish...i.e. no activator is used.

Bonus: they provide a clear coat option for metallic paints.
      2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Thank you for your feed back SysWizard.

Comment

Just to add actual experience. I used Dr Colorchip on my G8. It worked really well on the shotgun type paint chips. It is fairly fool proof if you follow the relatively simple instructions. I found it to be for the most part invisible as compared to normal touch up paint. The one thing it is not good on are large chips...1/4 inch size. it is really hard to fill the hole and hold. Otherwise a good product.

Comment

Originally posted by se9303 View Post
            i just went over to the Drcolorchip site and saw a video how they dab, smear and remove the excess paint. My question is, does this really work and make paint chips a thing of the past? I had not heard about this company until i came across this thread.
            Any repair of this type will REDUCE THE APPEARANCE of chips. It won't magically eliminate them. You have to weigh the pros and cons. On a few thousand dollar car it's not worth repainting a hood or bumper when this process will significant improve the appearance for nearly nothing if you DIY. And on a pristine high dollar car where any conventionally repainted panel could reduce its value, this could be a good alternative when applied by a professional.

I just tried this on an older Honda that had numerous nicks, fine scrapes and scratches on the back bumper. Used some Honda touch up paint from the dealer and brushed it on the affected areas, then spread it around with a gloved finger. Let it dry 5 minutes, then lightly went over it with a paper towel damp with acetone. That left a light haze after it dried. Removed that with M83 and topped with UFF. My only question would be, what is the solvent they use to take off the paint that I assume is acetone?

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');