• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work???

I've been working on fixing up a 1998 Ford Explorer and it's almost time to start tackling the exterior. Today I just grabbed a bottle of ScratchX to assess what I am going to have to tackle with the paint.

So here is a test spot where I knocked off the pin-stripe decal. You can see that the sun has baked the stripe into the paint AND I screwed up with the rubber wheel stripping that pin-stripe and dug into the paint a little. I think I'm going to have to hit these areas with nicks with touch-up paint and wet sand them before attempting the paint correction.

This; towards the leading edge of the hood there is basically a line of messed up paint. This was caused by the sun/wind deflector that was on the front of the hood and filled with dirt and debris for, at the least, the past four years. I'm thinking of sanding this back to clean it up, hitting it with spray touch-up paint, and wet sanding it to blend into the hood better. I know it wont be perfect, but if it looks horrible I'll just put the sun/wind deflector back on the hood!

Will this work? Will I need to prime before spraying on something like DupliColor's matched spray paint?
    2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Re: Will this work???

Before going right to sanding do a test spot with a compound and cutting pad on a DA and see if that does anything.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Will this work???

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
      Before going right to sanding do a test spot with a compound and cutting pad on a DA and see if that does anything.
      10-4!
      At the edges of the hood it's right through to bare metal in small spots.
      2014 Mustang GT 6-Speed Manual

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');