• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay bar, Ultimate Compound or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay bar, Ultimate Compound or both?

Hi All,

I've got a 10 year old Outback that has led a hard life. I think I waxed it once about 5 years ago. Other than that, just routine car washes. The finish is still pretty good, but the paint feels rough after washing. Before I wax it, I was thinking about using a clay bar but wonder if just using Ultimate Compound would be better. Would I want to use both? Maybe clay bar first then UC then wax? The paint has the usual swirls in the finish too. Thanks for the help!

Re: Clay bar, Ultimate Compound or both?

You want to clay first to remove the above surface contaminants. Then proceed with compounding and polishing as they remove the below surface contaminants (ie swirls). Will you be working by hand or machine?
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

I'll be working by hand. Thanks!

Comment

Just be aware that doing things by hand will not remove all swirls. You may be able to remove the light defects that are not too deep. The limitation is the hand. A dual action polisher will net better results.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Just a suggestion... Don't try and do it all in one day!

Working my hand IS labor intensive to say the least. Say, do the roof one day, then the hood a day or so later. On and on till finished.

Good luck!

Bill

Comment

OK. I appreciate the help! Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');