• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding D166

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding D166

Hello car care fam! I
    2017 Honda CR-V

Re: Questions regarding D166

Sorry my phone glitched and won't let me post for some reason. what i was trying to say was:

Hello car care fam! I have questions regarding D166 and its uses. I started using D166 on a 2013 Subaru Impreza that needs light to moderate paint correction. I first started on the quarter panel of the vehicle using a MF cutting disc at speed 5 and only 3 passes. After wiping the product away I realized i was onto something good. Most, if not all of the swirls were gone. Moved onto the door, same pad, same routine, and same product. After wiping it off I noticed it had hazed the section. After I noticed the haze I switched to using a MF finishing pad, but changed my routine slightly, going to speed 4 and making 6 passes. After wiping off the D166, the haze was minimized enough for me to move onto another section. Worked the new section same as before, speed 4 and 6 passes which resulted in more hazing. After seeing the results i switched yet again to a yellow foam polishing pad to remove the haze the finishing pad had left, which gave me great results. it removed all of the haze actually, so I went back to the second section that the MF cutting disc had hazed to remove the rest with the yellow polishing pad, and that ended up hazing the section over again. i was using the yellow pad at speed 4 doing 6 section passes. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Is there something I am doing wrong? Pad? speed? Technique? Please help!
    2017 Honda CR-V

Comment

A couple of questions.
      1) Did you clay bar before polishing? Possibly above surface contaminants are getting on the pads as you work. This could add micro-marring (hazing).
      2) Is it possible that one or panel are "repainted sections"? They might be softer than the other sections.

Comment

Even if you have seen this video with Larry Kosilla (Ammo NYC) and Kevin Brown ( Buff Daddy), let's watch it again.
        This reference isn't meant to lead you away from D166.
        Listen carefully to the multiple discussions on avoiding contaminants.
        This is episode 2 in our 3 part series at Barry Meguiar's home in Southern California on his new Ford GT. Today we discuss the steps Kevin Brown uses when he...

Comment

Thanks for the video. I have seen that before, but maybe I didn't pay enough attention haha. So with that being said, I washed the car with Chemical Guys Clean Slate soap and water. I brought it to a friends house so I can work on it in his garage. Upon starting, I used Final Touch QD to clean off the dust and the I used the Nanoskin clay pad with their Glide lubricant to remove any surface contamiants. I noticed in the video, Kevin Brown says "we don't care about hazing the paint" as they were just trying to remove defects, and then would go back over the paint to polish out to regain the gloss. That will be my approach, my friend suggest I try the black finishing pad to remove the haze and it helped tremendously. I really appreciate your input on my situation.
          2017 Honda CR-V

Comment

Microfiber Doesn't always finish down as consistently as a foam pad.

However, before you switch, try reducing the number of passes.

D166 uses SMAT abrasives thay don't diminish, they keep cutting. They usually only need no more than four passes to accomplish their task. After that point, the abraded paint can mar, or haze the finish. They are designed to work fast, and efficiently.

When finishing with the microfiber finishing disc, spread out your product over the area you want to work, and with as slow a speed possible, while maintaining rotation, use firm, consistent pressure, and do one pass. Wipe off and check yoir work. From there try two passes. If hazing persists, try a foam polishing or finishing pad with the same techniques I mentioned above.

Comment

Also make sure you brush out your pads after each set of passes.

Check your brush too. Sometimes you need to knock the dust out of your brush too. At the end of a job, I was my pad brush when I wash my pads.

I did this gorgeous Camaro for Autorama, and finished with M205. After a few panels, it wasn't finishing out too well. I switched to a new pad, and it happend again. Switched to a new pad, and again... When I set my brush on my cart, I saw a bunch of dust fall out from the bristles....

I was able to go back to my first pad once I cleaned out my brush!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');