• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirty Stained Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Stained Paint?

Guys, I did a body off semi-restoration of my 1978 Corvette. The body was in the garage on a wooden frame while I worked on it and the rolling chassis: Pic 1. The hood was kept covered and stored, where the body was exposed.

After about 1.5 years like this I was able to get the rolling chassis done Pic 2, and the body back together

But the hood is quite a few shades whiter, and the body just looks bad and dirty (It's been washed). Pic 3 & Pic 4

The paint used to match before I started the work. The paint is not amazing by any means, but I'd like to at least get the body matching the hood again. Can I just clay bar? Do I need a polish? Compound? How should I tackle this.

Thanks.

Re: Dirty Stained Paint?

Originally posted by Domobomb View Post

The paint used to match before I started the work. The paint is not amazing by any means, but I'd like to at least get the body matching the hood again. Can I just clay bar? Do I need a polish? Compound? How should I tackle this.
    Pretty much yes to all..

Really just start with the basics and see how it goes, then can adjust from there. And after washing/claying, you could work on a panel and see how it improves before doing the whole car. So something like this:

1. Wash (or like a QD spray if it is kept clean inside)
    2. Clay whole car

I would probably just go and buy the Ult. Compound and Ult. Polish to start. Esp if you are working by hand, Ult. Compound will not be as strong as when used with a machine, so applying and removing by hand would be more of a good cleaning.

3. Clean - Ult. Compound
    4. Polish - Ult. Polish
    5. Wax - Ult. Wax is a good choice for a bright shine. People tend to apply two coats to ensure good coverage.

And of course good microfiber towels, good foam applicators, etc...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok thanks. I ordered the porter cable 7424xp. Ill see how it goes.

Comment

Since you now will be using a DA polisher, do a test section after washing and claying. Use the polish to see if it corrects enough. If not, do a different test patch with the compound and follow with the polish.

Do you know if you have 2 stage paint?
        It almost looks like the hood may have been covered and the top clear coat did not react as much with UV light as the body reacted..

Comment

Originally posted by Domobomb View Post
          Ok thanks. I ordered the porter cable 7424xp. Ill see how it goes.
          Thats ok too... the same products will work...

Machines are great for defects.... if only dirt, just have to see what works best for you.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');