• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Full Ext. Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Full Ext. Detail

Hello all,

This weekend will be tackling my truck (daily driver, Black 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71) for the first time since I bought it a month ago. I'm sure some of these questions have been addressed on here but I've seen some conflicting answers in many places.

1. First of all, I applied NXT tech wax 2.0 after a wash approximately 3 weeks ago, and have washed weekly since then. From what I understand, there should still be a very healthy coat of wax on my car, it's still beading. I've been using megs QD daily with a MF to remove dust/pollen. What's the easiest way to go about ensuring I've removed the wax? Alternatively, should I just really wait until the wax breaks down before doing this and going for a polish?

2. I'll be hitting it with a clay bar for sure. My understanding is this can also help to remove residual wax?

3. I picked up a bottle of M205. The worst defects my car has are some moderate scratches, which I'm not really trying to address at this time due to my limited experience with a DA polisher and compounds. My goal is to remove very light scratches and swirls, and it seems from what I've read M205 is a good light polish to go with for this purpose, and a decent one to try out since I am inexperienced with my polisher. I will be using a test spot to ensure I don't get some messed up results over the whole vehicle.

4. I bought some CG Blacklight. Mixed reviews, but I guess you don't know until you try it out. I plan to apply it with the DA, after the M205, over the whole vehicle.

5. Applying CG Jetseal, again with the DA Polisher. I am iffy about using a longer term sealant in this case, since it is possible I may soon want to re-start with a clean slate and address the more moderate scratches. Any recommendations welcome.

6. Apply NXT tech 2.0 with the polisher to finish it off.

Any recommendations, additions, or "DON'T DO THAT!"s are welcome.

Thanks!

Re: First Full Ext. Detail

Claying and polishing will remove the NXT that is currently on the surface.

M205 is a good polish and is quite versatile. It's correction can be changed depending on the pad used. You will get some good practice using it with a DA. The test spot with a polishing pad will tell you how the paint responds.

I have not used many CG products but isn't black light just filling? I am not sure. In any case I would probably just skip it. I would use either Jetseal or NXT as they are both sealants. You can even invest in ultimate wax if you are looking for something that lasts a little longer than NXT.

One thing I would mention is to be aware that pollen is abrasive and can scratch. You may want to consider a waterless wash to wipe down pollen as it will have more cleaning capability compared to a QD.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: First Full Ext. Detail

Great! Thanks for the tips. Is QD not sufficient for cleaning pollen of a waxed finish? My assumption was its pretty hard to scratch/swirl through the wax with dust/pollen and a QD. I'll definitely look into waterless washes

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');