• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mosaic Black Malibu swirling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosaic Black Malibu swirling problem

Good Evening All,

I recently purchased a new Mosaic Black Malibu. The dealer did me the solid of running it through it's swirl-o-matic wash before delivering it, and I found all the swirls when I got it home and put it under the LED worklight.

I've done a decent amount of polishing on my old car, and kept it looking pretty good. I used a PC DA polisher and M205 with a meguiars polishing pad and it always left my paint looking clear and pretty. So I started off with the same setup to get the swirls off the Malibu. While it did remove some of the deeper scratches, it replaced them with a whole bunch of micro scratches and swirls. I was thinking of switching to a finishing pad and trying again, but I was wondering if you guys had any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Phil

Re: Mosaic Black Malibu swirling problem

There are either two things going on. One the paint is on the soft side and M205 on the polishing pad is leaving it's own defects. Or the other thing you are seeing are RIDS (random isolated deeper scratches) now that the paint has been cleared up a bit.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Is there a cleaner/polish that's less aggressive than M205? Or should I just try the finishing pad first and see what happens?

I'm fairly positive its the 205/polishing pad that marring. The scratches have that figure 8 swirl to them that a DA trail leaves behind.

Comment

Try it with a finishing pad and see what happens. Ultimate Polish has less cut but the same abrasives as M205. M205 does not finish that well on softer paints. Experienced that myself. If the finishing pad does not work then it may be time to change the polish. One thing that sometimes works is using a harder pad like a cutting pad with softer paints.

Maybe this video will help out a bit more

99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks bud, I will check out the video when I get home. I'll let ya know how it turns out, I probably won't get to work on it again for a week.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');