• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wash before glaze ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to wash before glaze ?

Hello from Denmark

I have the pleasure of washing and buffing my dad in laws old pre war cars. Most of them has been restored and repainted with single stage paint maybe 20 to 30 years ago.
    And most of them have been parked inside ever since. It leaves me with cars covered in a lot of dust and dirt, but "new" paint underneath.
    The first car I did, I washed in a bucket of water with d155 "last touch" and a microfiber washmitt. I have no waterhose. So wipe it dry as I go . After that I use m7 Glaze. And finally m26.

I would like a more effective and powerfull wash. I have the d115 but it contains wax. D114 is not available here in Denmark. I belive it would be a mistake to apply wax before m7 ?

What do you guys recommend ?

Kind regards Carsten

Re: How to wash before glaze ?

Using a rinseless wash is a sound principle. There's much less water left in inaccessible places of the vehicle that could cause rust. I'd use the D115 without hesitation. The wax content is so minimal that it won't interfere with the ability of the M07 to penetrate the old porous paints. As anyone who uses M07 knows, applying it takes some serious work. Just the insane amount of rubbing that M07 requires is enough to overcome any residual wax that the D115 contains.

Bill

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
      Do you know if there is more cleaning power in the d115 than the d155 ?
      Would it be a good thing to polish the old single stage with m205 before the m07, to make sure it is clean and ready ? Or can a modern polish dry out the old paint ?
      Im a bit confused about the use of m07.... the bottle says it has to be removed right away. But can the paint benefit from the oils that fast ? Im afraid to try and let it sit for maybe an hour to "****" up as much caring oil as possible. Many tell stories about how hard it is to remove....

Comment

With regard to the cleaning ability, I can't offer an opinion, as they're two completely different products. I prefer a rinseless wash as opposed to a quick detail product on a dirty vehicle, as there's less chance of scratching or marring the paint.
        I know the process of an M07 soak prior to polishing sounds unusual, but it does work. I do it annually on my original paint 1987 El Camino and it took it from a faded mess to a multiple show trophy winner. You don't have to remove all of it before polishing, just try to get the majority off. Read these two articles by Mike Phillips, who was the product trainer at Meguiars 10-15 years ago and you'll have a better understanding:

M205 is a good choice for polishing after the M07 soak. I'm doing the I've done test spots on my Camino with a number of products and wound up using M205 for its versatility and ability to finish wax-ready.

Bill

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');