• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help for an old timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help for an old timer

i have been using Meguiars products for 15 years. However, I have less and less time (or just plain lazy) for detailing and I am always looking for short cuts.

I finally sold my Mercedes and bought a Honda a few months ago. This is my detailing routine in the past few years. I clay once a year after the winter. Then wax about once a month with Meguiars Ultimate Paste Wax (or White Wax). Then I would wash the car every 1-2 weeks and apply Ultimate Quik Wax.

I just noticed that there are a few new Meguiars products. I am interested in Ultimate Fast Finish and maybe with this product, I can wax less. Any advice is appreciated.

BTW. I bought the New Car Scent, no bad at all. I use it in conjunction with Utlmate Black, like Ultimate Black for the base and New Car Scent for the maintenance.

Re: Help for an old timer

First off you don't need to be waxing once a month if you are using ultimate wax. It is a sealant and designed to last longer than a traditional carnauba paste wax. White wax on it's own can last about 2-3 months and with the abrasives in it will remove any previous waxes on the painted surface. Both good products. Just keep in mind that white wax has been discontinued.

Ultimate Fast Finish is a synthetic protectant as well. May not give you the best look compared to ultimate wax but overall it's ok. Really fast to apply. The longevity is going to vary. More realistically it will last about 3-4 months with real world exposure.

With ultimate wax or ultimate fast finish you don't need to wax as often. If you are interested in the product then give it a try. It is not that expensive anyway.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

By ultimate wax, did you mean ultimate quik wax?

Comment

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
        By ultimate wax, did you mean ultimate quik wax?
        I meant ultimate paste wax or ultimate liquid wax. UW is a sealant as it is synthetic. Ultimate Quik Wax is a synthetic spray wax. It won't be as durable as a stand alone sealant.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          I meant ultimate paste wax or ultimate liquid wax. UW is a sealant as it is synthetic. Ultimate Quik Wax is a synthetic spray wax. It won't be as durable as a stand alone sealant.
          Ok. Thanks. Have to use up the White Wax so I will alternate between Utlimate Paste Wax and White Wax then.

One more question. With Meguiars Fast Finish, it says to upkeep with Quick Detailer. How about Quik Wax?

Comment

Don't over complicate things. You can use whatever product you like to maintain it.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Another old timer here (75). Age, abuse and arthritis have caught up with me and have curtailed my detailing ambitions a bit, but I HATE driving a car that isn't pristine. So I arrived at this routine. Weekly, if no rain, I use UQD to remove any light dust and follow with D156 (UQW). If it rains I wash and use UQD as a drying agent and follow with D156. Quarterly, I wash and dry the car and I do a baggie test. If it passes, I apply another coat of ULW.

D156 (UQW) keeps the paint glossy and slick so bonded contaminants seldom stick.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

I too am a "mature detailer"...age 75. I have become quite fond of Meg's Mirror Bright Polishing Wax.http://www.meguiars.com/en/MirrorBright

Comment

From another old timer (68), very nice looking Jim

Comment

Why has Megs White Wax been discontinued? I liked it!

is there any product to spot treat fail dust and then protect the paint?

Comment

Originally posted by JMan136 View Post
                      Why has Megs White Wax been discontinued? I liked it!
                      Low sales is why. If you liked it the. You will like D166.
                      99 Grand Prix
                      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');