• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for garden hose filter to reduce water spots when washing cars. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for garden hose filter to reduce water spots when washing cars. Suggestions?

Does anyone use an in-line filter on their garden hose when they wash vehicles? I'm looking to purchase one so I can reduce water spots, contaminants, metals, etc.

Thanks in advance,

TJ (NEPA_Wrangler)

Re: Looking for garden hose filter to reduce water spots when washing cars. Suggestio

I used to use an in line cartridge type filter with a special cartridge to take out minerals, etc. It was (and still is) mounted to the wall in the garage. It did an okay job, but was a pain to attach the garden hose to it for input, and then a separate hose for the output. Each month the cartridge had to be soaked over night in salt...basically it was an inline water softener. Used it a few times, and then thought it might not be good to rinse the car in slightly salty water. Stopped using it, and bought myself an electric leaf blower, and use it instead. Works better, less hassle, no spots, and no monthly soaking of the cartridge.

Comment

Re: Looking for garden hose filter to reduce water spots when washing cars. Suggestio

Beside low pressure flowing the water off the car in sheets, I also use a leaf blower and I use UQD as a drying agent. Never any water spots on my cars.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

the filter i use and highly recomend at this link

Comment

Using a leaf blower or sheeting water with a garden hose only helps if you do it within seconds/minutes after fully rinsing the entire vehicle. It also depends on the level of water hardness in your area. Perhaps this works for those with lower hardness levels.

Although I have never tested mine I can say that I have medium grade hardness. My vehicles are outside 24-7. Exposed to full sun nearly all day. So the paint is pretty dang hot before I even begin washing. Within seconds, water will evaporate and start etching. And although I can usually remove most of the spots with a quality brand QD spray while I'm drying, it takes extra effort and time to remove the stubborn ones.

I just picked up this filter system out based on some good reviews (and a few youtube videos) showing that it does a pretty decent job at minimizing water spotting. I had to buy some fittings today so hopefully I can give it shot. Its 97 degrees right now!

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post
            Using a leaf blower or sheeting water with a garden hose only helps if you do it within seconds/minutes after fully rinsing the entire vehicle. It also depends on the level of water hardness in your area. Perhaps this works for those with lower hardness levels.

Although I have never tested mine I can say that I have medium grade hardness. My vehicles are outside 24-7. Exposed to full sun nearly all day. So the paint is pretty dang hot before I even begin washing. Within seconds, water will evaporate and start etching. And although I can usually remove most of the spots with a quality brand QD spray while I'm drying, it takes extra effort and time to remove the stubborn ones.

I just picked up this filter system out based on some good reviews (and a few youtube videos) showing that it does a pretty decent job at minimizing water spotting. I had to buy some fittings today so hopefully I can give it shot. Its 97 degrees right now!
            I realize you don't have the option, but I would never wash my cars in the sun. Not sure how good it is to splash cold water on a car that could fry eggs. The thermal contraction cannot be good. Like you, the water would evaporate leaving spots from our very hard well water. Fortunately, my two cars are garaged, and i can pull them out and wash under a large shade tree. Water sheeting and a leaf blower works extremely well for me, and it does not have to be done in seconds or minutes. If one can wash in the shade, it is the only way to go.

Comment

No shade here so I wash in the early morning or at dusk and only if my paint is cool to the touch. Sometimes it is difficult to share the driveway with all the mosquitos who are always active at those times.
              Jim
              My Gallery

Comment

I just picked up one from Walmart today at the RV section in automotive. 1 filter and adapter for hooking up to water outlet for under $20.00. Hot today when I washed my car, but I spray quick detailer on each section before I dry. No water spots noticed. Can't tell if filter actually gave any benefits, but I sure felt better about it....

Comment

I want to report back with my experience with the amazon water filter kit I linked in my previous post.

I just finished washing the family minivan. Direct sun and with the heat index it's 94 degrees! I am glad to report ZERO water spots! That's right, none! I will say this though, it takes a few gallons for the filter system to break in. The first time I used it I got a little water spotting but decided to give it one more go and I'm pretty happy with the results.

It's a great bargain compared to other systems. I would recommend this to others looking for a solution to sun washing because shade or waiting until morning/evening is not available or convenient.

Comment

Originally posted by evo77 View Post

I just picked up water softener system for calcium out based on some good reviews (and a few youtube videos) showing that it does a pretty decent job at minimizing water spotting. I had to buy some fittings today so hopefully I can give it shot. Its 97 degrees right now!
                    Water spots are caused by calcium in hard water. For this reason, finding a water filter or water softener to reduce calcium can easily solve the problem. After I moved my house, I installed a water softener. When I used it to wash my car, the water spots were greatly reduced. I think it is a good idea to install a whole house filter, not only the water spot problem, but also the problem of clogged water pipes.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');