• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often can I use Ultimate Compound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often can I use Ultimate Compound?

I recently bought Ultimate Compound to remove scratches and swirls by hand with microfiber pad (lots of sweat and time). Result is pretty good at least the visible ones are removed or not visible from far. In case of the type of paint, I am driving Acura MDX incase someone ask me what type of paint here.
    1. My question is how frequent can I use this product? The reason I am asking is I still see some swirls or maybe holograms leftover from my previous compound job (its really hard to see until direct sun) and I would like to use compound again to remove it. I have heard that every time you use compound, you are removing the bits of clear coat. So my concern is that if I use too much would I end up losing clear coat and hurt the paint.
    2. So I wash with Ultimate Wash and Wax, dried, then Ultimate Compound on some areas, then apply Ultimate Quick Wax spray. Is this the right process? Is this sufficient to maintain my paint? My goal is to make it look clean with gloss.

I kind of treat Ultimate Compound as my ultimate solution to clean my paint as I don't want to spend too much money on different products if Compound can give same result.

Thank you for your time.

Re: How often can I use Ultimate Compound?

[*]My question is how frequent can I use this product? The reason I am asking is I still see some swirls or maybe holograms leftover from my previous compound job (its really hard to see until direct sun) and I would like to use compound again to remove it. I have heard that every time you use compound, you are removing the bits of clear coat. So my concern is that if I use too much would I end up losing clear coat and hurt the paint.
    Yeah, it is like sanding wood to remove a scratch... you have to level the paint down to the the bottom of the swirl.

The good thing is a basic cobweb swirl is very shallow, just reflects a lot of light. An actual scratch might just be able to be improved if too deep.

So you can certainly use it a few times with the effort/passion to remove swirls. Just dont want to focus all on one spot, keep moving evenly over an area.

[*]So I wash with Ultimate Wash and Wax, dried, then Ultimate Compound on some areas, then apply Ultimate Quick Wax spray. Is this the right process? Is this sufficient to maintain my paint? My goal is to make it look clean with gloss.
    Sort of.. do you do that every time?

Ult. Compound would remove the wax from the Wash and Wax, so a bit of a waste there. And UC shouldnt be needed every time. Ult. Quick Wax is very good.. probably better than the wash and wax. So I would look more at:

1. Wash: Gold Class
    2. Clay: If you have never clayed before, definatley good to do.
    3. Clean/Swirl Removal: Ult. Compound
    4. Wax

And then for your regular weekly or monthly washes, just:
    1. Wash
    2. Ult. Quick Wax

I kind of treat Ultimate Compound as my ultimate solution to clean my paint as I don't want to spend too much money on different products if Compound can give same result.
    With something like Ult. Compound, if you apply gently, it becomes a gentle cleaner. If applied with more passion/effort, it becomes a stronger cleaner. So really can be used a few times a year if most is gentle. Although you really shouldnt need it too often.

The only thing you would be missing is some extra polishing oils that the Ult. Polish would have, which is going to be a milder cleaner with oils. A dark color may look a bit better with that, but up to you.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Yeah, it is like sanding wood to remove a scratch... you have to level the paint down to the the bottom of the swirl.

The good thing is a basic cobweb swirl is very shallow, just reflects a lot of light. An actual scratch might just be able to be improved if too deep.

So you can certainly use it a few times with the effort/passion to remove swirls. Just dont want to focus all on one spot, keep moving evenly over an area.

Sort of.. do you do that every time?

Ult. Compound would remove the wax from the Wash and Wax, so a bit of a waste there. And UC shouldnt be needed every time. Ult. Quick Wax is very good.. probably better than the wash and wax. So I would look more at:

1. Wash: Gold Class
      2. Clay: If you have never clayed before, definatley good to do.
      3. Clean/Swirl Removal: Ult. Compound
      4. Wax

And then for your regular weekly or monthly washes, just:
      1. Wash
      2. Ult. Quick Wax

With something like Ult. Compound, if you apply gently, it becomes a gentle cleaner. If applied with more passion/effort, it becomes a stronger cleaner. So really can be used a few times a year if most is gentle. Although you really shouldnt need it too often.

The only thing you would be missing is some extra polishing oils that the Ult. Polish would have, which is going to be a milder cleaner with oils. A dark color may look a bit better with that, but up to you.
      Thank you so much for your answer. My routine car wash is (2~3 times a month summer time, Winter will be less frequent as Canadian winter just rains all the time): Ultimate Wash Wax > Ultimate Quick wax. I only use compound if I spot something didnt get cleaned from the wash. I have never used Clay. So is it safe to use clay more frequent than Compound? The Clay Kit is not cheap though in Canada (around $35 CAD).

Is it worth to invest in Ultimate Polish? It looks like another hand job that would require lots of elbow grease. (NOTE: I know people talking about DA, but its a bit of pricy that I would not invest)

I choose everything that is labeled as "Ultimate" as I assume its the BEST in the line. Is this good decision? I just want to use something nice on my baby :P

I wish I could attach my Before and After picture here, but not sure how to attach pictures without sharing URL.

Comment

Clay is a bit different than UC... The stuff thats really bonded on, like overspray or brake dust, the UC can kind of skip over. I usually only clay once a year or so... I cut into smaller pieces, and a kit lasts me a couple years. I was happy with the shine the first time I used it.

You dont have to use Ult. Polish... you wouldnt want to just use it on one spot, that might look odd.

Yeah, I think the Ult. items are pretty top of the line at the moment, both for looks and ease of use.

If you are looking to keep things easy, I started using the IronX and TarX products before washing once or twice a year. They would remove previous wax, so kind of starting over, but are a very easy way to get rid of lots of tar and brake dust quickly. Not sure if you have them up there, or something similar.

Comment

So do you have any recommendations for in-between cleaning (after the wash before wax)? Since compound is not for frequent, if I want to clean some areas of the paint between the next compound, what would you use? I heard of Ultimate Quick Detailer, but doubt its gonna do enough for cleaning other than Compound.

I am afraid that the harsh Canadian Winter and the snow brush is gonna ruin the paint again and I would have to use compound to fix them again. Any recommendations for the winter protection?

Thanks again for your time.

Comment

So do you have any recommendations for in-between cleaning (after the wash before wax)? Since compound is not for frequent, if I want to clean some areas of the paint between the next compound, what would you use? I heard of Ultimate Quick Detailer, but doubt its gonna do enough for cleaning other than Compound.
            The Ult. Quick Detailer (and other detail sprays) is like a light dust remover, or bird dropping remover. Its not a paint cleaner, like to remove dirt.

I think its just a different perspective.

Like most of us will do a big detail 2 or 3 times a year. That would be the:

Wash - including things like the TarX mentioned...
            Clay
            Clean - Ult Compound or Ult. Polish, or more if someone wants
            Wax

And then we'll just

Wash
            Ult. Spray Wax

Every week or month.

That way we arent removing wax and starting over every time. And its quicker and easier most of the year, and less touching (which also leads to swirls). So if we get it nice and shiny, you probably wont notice much to touch up for a few months...

I am afraid that the harsh Canadian Winter and the snow brush is gonna ruin the paint again and I would have to use compound to fix them again. Any recommendations for the winter protection?
            Yeah.. rubbing that snow brush will be a problem... are you able to leave a skim coat of snow.. not quite touch the paint?

The Ult. Fast Finish seems pretty long lasting... and fast to apply.. but isnt going to stop a stiff bristle or scratchy plastic...

Comment

KCheng
              Here is a post that will help you add images to your posts.
              https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?24941-How-to-upload-and-insert-an-image-into-your-posts

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                Thanks!

Comment

Here is my image:
                  Before:

After:
                  Thanks

Comment

That looks like good work by hand... hopefully we can keep it to a minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                      That looks like good work by hand... hopefully we can keep it to a minimum.
                      Thanks Murr. Yeah I was impressed with the power of compound but am not sure how these scratches happened and hopefully they don't show up again. If they do, I assume I will repeat the process? I applied ultimate quick wax right after compound.
                      Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');