Wheel cleaning disaster! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel cleaning disaster!

Re: Wheel cleaning disaster!

Trevor

VHT is a Division of Dupli-Color, and Dupli-Color is a Sherwin-William's company.
    I like their VHT paints and use their High Temp Engine paints for most of the component painting on my 48 year old car.

It looks like you and I should have traded cans of clear.
    Each of us used mixed product lines. That does not necessarily mean they are not compatible. It might be worth a call to their 800 247-3270 Customer Support number.

For extra safety, I will be matching the product lines, before I paint the other spare Rally rims.

Although the spares on my truck are painted Rally Rims, the show rims are polished bare aluminum. I will be using up my other wheel cleaner products for my daily drivers and switching to the new purchases of the neutral PH of Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. It would be OK to call it "Protection from Myself".

Mixed lines of wheel paint:

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stoops View Post
    Funny thing is, I didn't think I'd be able to live with a classic Euro sports car either, so at first I went out and got a 1999 Miata (coincidentally, in a very similar color combo to your Toyota - Emerald Mica with tan leather from the factory and I added bronze wheels to it!!! Just a weekend toy, but I really wanted something different, and the Alfa was the perfect fit (plus I've been a huge Alfa Romeo fan my whole life). Just take your time and look for the best car you can find. Resign yourself to the fact that your first color choice may not be available - what you really want is a mechanically very sound vehicle. Live with the color. And find a really good mechanic. I deal with one of the top Alfa specialty shops who happens to be not only very close to me, but the shop owner actually used to own my car!!!

That Alfa is absolutely gorgeous. Granted, I do look at it and wonder if I would fit (6'1" and 240 lbs) but good heavens, it's beautiful... That gas station pic reminds me of a mini Jaguar. I do have a good mechanic, thankfully - Our friend Tommy's shop specializes in Saabs and we had him do all the work on our old Saab Turbo wagon, but he also loves working on anything "unusual and euro" and thus has become the guy with the parking lot full of old Fiats, Alfas, Lancias, and now a nice yellow Porsche 914. I like going to his garage just to see what's waiting in the lot.

Our MR2 is a lot of fun too, though. When my wife and I got married in '89, we bought a 1st gen MR2 as our "first car" purchase together (She's a car enthusiast too), so we 25 years rolled around, we got ourselves the Spyder for our 25th. I suffer from cravings occasionally for an old MG or similar, but at the same time think, "Tiny affordable mid-engine sports car - No one's going to make that again!" Still, we're thinking about selling it now that we've enjoyed it for 6 years... That's why I was cleaning the wheels to start with, to get it looking nice for a trial Craigslist listing! And now... back to repainting Square One.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    Although the spares on my truck are painted Rally Rims, the show rims are polished bare aluminum. I will be using up my other wheel cleaner products for my daily drivers and switching to the new purchases of the neutral PH of Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner. It would be OK to call it "Protection from Myself".

Mixed lines of wheel paint:

You know... If you have any Hot Rims handy and some random metal thing to spray and test on, I'd be curious to hear if the same thing happens with Dupli-Color clearcoat. I wonder if it would be any more resistant to Hot Rims than the VHT was? I can't remember why I got the VHT clearcoat - I do remember there was some specific reason, but that was over a year ago and I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. I do know I went with the Dupli wheel paint because VHT didn't have a bronze version available at the time.

As things go, Saturday, I took all scrap metal to be recycled.

I might find something around for a test. I don't have that particular Hot Wheels product, yet I know someone who does.
    I might be able to do a test.

For me..... I am going to the neutral balance of the new Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner.
    When to comes to wheels, I have found that frequent cleaning is the key to shorter cleaning times.

Registered Member

Not for all wheels at all, should be because this is not acid free.

Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub Brian Hann's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j2ee View Post
    Not for all wheels at all, should be because this is not acid free.
    Not exactly sure of the intent behind your post but you are correct when saying this product is not intended for or safe on all wheels. You are however incorrect as to the product chemistry. This is most definitely an alkaline formula and not acidic.

Not trying to start a argument by contradicting you, just want to make sure that anyone reading this later has accurate information.
    Brian Hann
    Manager - Meguiar's Solutions Hub
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, California
    bhann@meguiars.com
    (800) 854-8073 *3870

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information