• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to safely remove melted plastic from car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to safely remove melted plastic from car?

I have a car which was next to a plastic trash can which caught on fire in my garage. As trash can melted, it splattered plastic onto the right front quarter of the car (hood, fender, door). I was able to pop off much of the melted plastic using a plastic scraper/knife but some of it won't come off. I had one body shop recommend wet sanding the stuck-on plastic residue, another recommended just buffing it out.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on what I should try to do to remove the melted plastic?

Re: How to safely remove melted plastic from car?

I'm setting here and looking at your post and to be honest-I ain't gotta clue!

One wild hare thought is, take a clothes pin apart. That way you'd have two tiny wooden chisels...and GENTLY tap it into the plastic edge with a light weight hammer and see it it'll pop off.

Gotta ask, did your garage/house suffer any damage? Fire is scary.

Good luck...

Bill

Comment

Re: How to safely remove melted plastic from car?

Try a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the plastic up and then remove. Careful it will be hot and stick to whatever the soft plastic touches

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');