• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car: what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car: what to do

Hi Everyone, I don't post that much but I look all the time!

I just bought a 2018 Dodge Durango R/T in White. What should I be doing to protect the exterior (clay, polishes, ect...) and in what order?

I have the whole ultimate line just not sure which way I should go from here.

Also, should I wax the windows? Should I wax the wheels? I have a whole bunch of questions. Thanks in advance!

- Cole

Re: New Car: what to do

If I were you, I would clay the car then wax.
    Clay and Wax the whole car including the windows and the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackjku View Post
      Hi Everyone, I don't post that much but I look all the time!

I just bought a 2018 Dodge Durango R/T in White. What should I be doing to protect the exterior (clay, polishes, ect...) and in what order?

I have the whole ultimate line just not sure which way I should go from here.

Also, should I wax the windows? Should I wax the wheels? I have a whole bunch of questions. Thanks in advance!

- Cole
      Well it depends on the condition of the paint. You will have to be the one to inspect and determine what needs to be done. Such Is it swirl free?

How much time do you want to spend on this?

Will you be working by hand or machine?

You can wax wheels and glass. Meguiar's actually sells the perfect clarity glass kit that includes a sealant. I would consider going that route for the glass.

This chart should help

99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

It is white. My next car will be white so all I ever have to do is wash it once and a while. No claying, no polishing, no more waxing.

Comment

I don

Comment

It looks like when you tried to type the apostrophe, your device sent a signal to truncate your message.
            This seems common with some smaller devices (PDA/Phones).

Comment

I dont notice many swirls but I do see some of those little rail spots that come off. (Or whatever containment

Comment

I don

Comment

I dont notice many swirls, but I do see some of those little rail spots that come off Or whatever containments those are I assume rail dust.

I will spend whatever time is needed I enjoy doing these kinds of thing just dont know all about it

I would rather do it by hand but I do have tools to do it by power

And I was wondering if I can use normal wax on a window and wheels Or if it has to be the perfect clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                    It looks like when you tried to type the apostrophe, your device sent a signal to truncate your message.
                    This seems common with some smaller devices (PDA/Phones).
                    Shoot sorry for all the screw ups technology has surpassed me. Lol

Comment

I did consider permanent coating (ceramic and glass) when I bought my car a few months ago. It would cost $1-1.5K CAN and I finally decided on just simple clear plastic film.

One question I have is how to do paint correction. If I have light scratches, I would use compound and polish to remove them. If the car has this permanent coating, do I have to go to reapply the coating again?

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                        It is white. My next car will be white so all I ever have to do is wash it once and a while. No claying, no polishing, no more waxing.
                        If it was only that easy. White starts to turn off white when it becomes contaminated with road grime so it still needs to be polished to brighten up and clean up the paint. And no wax will not prevent road grime.

Originally posted by Blackjku View Post
                        I dont notice many swirls, but I do see some of those little rail spots that come off Or whatever containments those are I assume rail dust.

I will spend whatever time is needed I enjoy doing these kinds of thing just dont know all about it

I would rather do it by hand but I do have tools to do it by power

And I was wondering if I can use normal wax on a window and wheels Or if it has to be the perfect clarity
                        White will show little yellow/orange spots that is iron fall out from rail dust. Some will come off with a clay bar and some may need an iron remover.

The thing with white is you have to look at the paint under good lighting from various angles to notice any swirls.

You can use wax on the wheels. Just be aware that it won't last long due to the high heat in that area. You may get wiper chatter on the front glass which is why I recommended the perfect clarity glass kit.

Originally posted by michaelpomp

If you are serious about your car, you need a premium glass coating. Xtreme9h is the highest certified endurance protection for your vehicle
                        I'm a fan of coatings but for someone getting into detailing it is not the best place to start. A sealant will work just fine. You seem to be someone that works for this manufacturer as your fist post is to recommend them.

Originally posted by mis3 View Post
                        I did consider permanent coating (ceramic and glass) when I bought my car a few months ago. It would cost $1-1.5K CAN and I finally decided on just simple clear plastic film.

One question I have is how to do paint correction. If I have light scratches, I would use compound and polish to remove them. If the car has this permanent coating, do I have to go to reapply the coating again?
                        A coating is not for everyone and some may be turned off for the price of one installed. There are consumer coatings available as well that one can apply at home. Some are more user friendly than others. Coatings are not the end all be all. One must understand their limitations.

To do paint correction you need a lot of practice and proper tools. Most coatings can be removed by abrasion aka polishing. Keep in mind that coatings are still semi-permanent. Don't get to hung up on how long they last. If someone doesn't maintain it then it can fail before the claimed durability.

99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                          If it was only that easy. White starts to turn off white when it becomes contaminated with road grime so it still needs to be polished to brighten up and clean up the paint. And no wax will not prevent road grime.

White will show little yellow/orange spots that is iron fall out from rail dust. Some will come off with a clay bar and some may need an iron remover.

The thing with white is you have to look at the paint under good lighting from various angles to notice any swirls.

You can use wax on the wheels. Just be aware that it won't last long due to the high heat in that area. You may get wiper chatter on the front glass which is why I recommended the perfect clarity glass kit.

I'm a fan of coatings but for someone getting into detailing it is not the best place to start. A sealant will work just fine. You seem to be someone that works for this manufacturer as your fist post is to recommend them.

A coating is not for everyone and some may be turned off for the price of one installed. There are consumer coatings available as well that one can apply at home. Some are more user friendly than others. Coatings are not the end all be all. One must understand their limitations.

To do paint correction you need a lot of practice and proper tools. Most coatings can be removed by abrasion aka polishing. Keep in mind that coatings are still semi-permanent. Don't get to hung up on how long they last. If someone doesn't maintain it then it can fail before the claimed durability.

I dont want to do a coating like that. What would be considered a good sealant out of my ultimate collection? I will get my hands on the clarity kit I didnt expect to do the windshield but the others for sure.

I guess I really just dont know what products to use and when. Or what to apply them with should I use foam or microfiber?

Comment

Ultimate Wax is a sealant.

Foam is the way to go. Microfiber is more aggressive and can haze the paint. The other thing to keep in mind that working by machine is easier than by hand. A machine will also produce better results.

Check out the video as it goes in great detail.

Here is another

99 Grand Prix
                            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                              Ultimate Wax is a sealant.

Foam is the way to go. Microfiber is more aggressive and can haze the paint. The other thing to keep in mind that working by machine is easier than by hand. A machine will also produce better results.

Check out the video as it goes in great detail.

Here is another

Both of the Videos you posted were a great help! I am probably going to try my luck with a DA, should I be taping off all the moldings and what not or just make sure I immediately wipe them off?

thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');