• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Required: DA Power System Capability, Product Use Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Required: DA Power System Capability, Product Use Information

Hey all,

An open discussion on pad/product/technique use for the DA Power system on lighter coloured vehicles I guess.. All recommendations appreciated!

Bit of a long one but bare with me..

I recently washed, cleansed (Smooth Surface Quik Clay Kit), and then re-washed my 1998 Nissan Silvia in KG1 Jet Silver Metallic after acquiring some information from users here, so thankyou heaps for that!

I initially thought the vehicle had only very, very light scratches, but after using GC Wash and the Quick Clay Kit, some ares had some slightly deeper scratches, these are still rather light, and require the vehicle to be in a very specific lighting for them to show up. The paint on this car is in quite incredible condition, but it has SO MUCH MORE potential.

I masked a small area, got out the UC (Ultimate Compound) and UP (Ultimate Polish) and did two passes of each by hand using a generic sponge, on what I believe to be the worst affected area (Top of front quarter panels), the scratches were not removed, but certainly dumbed down a bit.. I love this car and want to bring the best out of the factory paint, I have also wanted to purchase a DA Power system for some time as I understand working with these products by hand is never going to unlock their full potential. On a side note, the gloss and reflection of the paint in the masked area has been increased 10 fold, quite an incredible result, considering.

With the rest of the vehicle being only slightly covered in these light/very light scratches in some areas, I now believe UC is the product to start with (after initially thinking UP would perhaps do) and will work my way down in abrasiveness from there. The scratches are only very light in the affected areas (the rest practically scratch free), but even compound by hand in SOME areas was not able to completely remove them. It did an amazing job of removing all other defects and man is the reflection now clear.

Is the DA Power System worth it? (when used correctly) Can it damage my paint? I have used a rotary tool before, only a few times, but I trust myself with this type of thing. (Will be using a high quality corded drill) I have watched many technique videos on the DA Power System also.

My plan was to purchase the system, and a set of both compound and polish pads, and use both with UC and UP respectively as I did by hand as mentioned above, with a decreasing application pressure from compound to polish, is this the best plan? Should I be using other products pre/post the polish stage other than compound wax for best results? Are there any recommended products to get silver or lighter colours in general to really pop and shine when using a DA? (I understand lighter colours will not achieve "depth" but man can they shine!)

I want to build the products/effect up as that will achieve the greatest results? Any recommendations on product/pad/technique use from the compound stage through to the waxing stage is hugely appreciated, as well as any technique tips you guys have for the system.\

I wash with GC and have both UC and UP here, I don't at all mind adding further products to my arsenal so fire away, I have also trialled with Deep Crystal Carnauba and UQW (Spray) but would also like some recommendations on a wax to get the final stage to really pop and shine (above combo was okay..), Murr has said NXT for lighter colours?

Lets get the ball rolling, thanks team!

Re: Help Required: DA Power System Capability, Product Use Information

Have spent the last few hours researching rotation speed and arm speed along with technique tips and pad selection.

Am really after some info on the DA Power system itself, its capabilities, tips, and what products people have used from the Compound/Cleanse stage on wards with a DA on lighter coloured vehicles.
    What products are recommended in between or after UC and UP? (Glaze perhaps?, wax recommendations?)

Generally gain very good information from you guys here, always my go-to!

Thanks again team

Comment

The Ultimate line is tough to beat. Even the professional, and boutique/exotic/import abrasives aren't really that much if at all "better" in application and result.

I've used the DA power system, and while it was smaller than what I was used to, it could still be very effective. It even works well with microfiber pads for heavy compounding.

My issue was that it didn't work well with my cordless drill. At the time we were living in an apartment, and There was no outlet for me to run a cord from.. On a corded drill, it was fantastic!

Be advised that NXT works great on all colors.

You could do the cutting step with UC, bring up gloss with UP, and seal with NXT 2.0.

Comment

Thanks for the input drumdan!
        Will be using a quality corded drill with the DA Power System, from what I read its capabilities really are very good.

One of my main concerns is whether or not to start with UC or something a little less abrasive, my plan was actually to use the UC with the yellow polish pad to reduce its abrasiveness slightly compared to the recommended burgundy pad?

I have applied UC by hand followed by UP in a test spot in the worst affected areas, the use of both the UC and UP is bringing up far more clarity and gloss than just the UP alone, but some of the vehicle has almost no scratching at all, Im terrified of damaging the paint/clearcoat but at the same time realise UC or similar is going to be needed to bring out the full potential, keeping in mind this paint is exactly 20 years old.

Would love if there was a little more info on the products that step down between UC and UP in abrasiveness, and whether or not a glaze post polish stage is a good idea?

The NXT sounds like the way to go, interested in this as well as the ultimate liquid/paste wax option.

Cheers team

Comment

Originally posted by Paulus.Chapman View Post
          Thanks for the input drumdan!
          Will be using a quality corded drill with the DA Power System, from what I read its capabilities really are very good.

One of my main concerns is whether or not to start with UC or something a little less abrasive, my plan was actually to use the UC with the yellow polish pad to reduce its abrasiveness slightly compared to the recommended burgundy pad?

I have applied UC by hand followed by UP in a test spot in the worst affected areas, the use of both the UC and UP is bringing up far more clarity and gloss than just the UP alone, but some of the vehicle has almost no scratching at all, Im terrified of damaging the paint/clearcoat but at the same time realise UC or similar is going to be needed to bring out the full potential, keeping in mind this paint is exactly 20 years old.

Would love if there was a little more info on the products that step down between UC and UP in abrasiveness, and whether or not a glaze post polish stage is a good idea?

The NXT sounds like the way to go, interested in this as well as the ultimate liquid/paste wax option.

Cheers team
          Another option is to use UP with the burgundy pad. The pad finishes her well despite it's correction ability. This will maximize the cutting ability of the very fine abrasives in Ultimate Polish. This will also give you that "middle ground" between UC and UP. Also consider UP with a microfiber finishing pad.

With Ultimate Polish, you could effectively skip the "pure polish"/glaze step.

Comment

Thanks again drumdan, what would you imagine the correction ability of UC on a yellow pad would compare like to UP on a burgundy pad? I was thinking the UC on the burgundy pad may be a little too much/aggresive to begin with but am since realising its going to be needed here. But it is rather hard to say without running a test spot, the paint is brilliant, but it is 20 years old.. Im going to run another test spot today by hand and compare, I may try and upload photos to give you guys a better idea of what I'm looking at here.

Meguiars products here in NZ are very expensive compared to your prices in the states, I quite often get told to go and buy say 3-4 different products but over here that could cost you upto $250 for 4 x 473ml product containers!, the DA Power System runs at about $150 here and the pads a further $50 per pack.. Hence why doing some research pre-hand is so important.

At the moment I have a plan but need to clarify whether or not to start on UC and a burgundy pad, or UC and a yellow pad, I am 90% sure UC IS going to be required to get the full potential from this paint, being 20 years old..

Ill try and get some photos up for you later on, basic plan at this stage is UC with yellow (possibly burgundy) pad, UP with yellow (possibly burgundy) pad and then to step it down from there depending on whether I used the yellow or burgundy pads initially, (If I go burgundy, I will do one full pass in sections, with another full section pass followed using the yellow pad) perhaps a glaze and then NXT or similar to finish it all off using a black pad and low rotation speed.

Cheers again team

Comment

One thing to consider is that Meguiar's very successfully used the yellow polishing pad for years with Ultimate Compound in their classes. You could absolutely start with the UC/Yellow pad and see where that gets you to start.

It will probably work great.

Definitely follow with UP on another yellow or black pad - if you need to.

I would personally skip the glaze, but if you want to, you should. NXT 2.0 is still one of my favorites, so you're good there too!

Comment

This is great info, thanks so much.
                Is there any real danger when using a yellow pad with UC and a DAPS with a quality corded drill? Terrified of doing damage but just doing the test spots now the UC is giving me more clarity than the UP, although I am quite impressed with the correction power of the UP..
                I think I like the idea of using the UC in conjuction with a yellow pad best and then stepping down to UP on a yellow pad also, I really do like the idea of a glaze but have no idea where to start so will have to research that..

Cheers again!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');