• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

re-n00b, light cut-oil free

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-n00b, light cut-oil free

Hi, try to make a long story short here. I've been heavy into detailing for a long time, then college, work, moved across country happened out of a house into apartment. As such my car has only been maintained as best I can, it never got corrected. Dealer installed love marks, but not bad and ive managed to keep it relatively clean through 3 Michigan Winters. Good news is i am moving back to TX and a house. So, I have ever so light, slight random swirls here and there, tried to capture as best I could. It will not need a heavy cut, just a light buff will do. It needs a good decon, clay as well.

Question: What is the lightest product I can try, that will NOT leave residue/oils behind as I intend to apply REFLEX afterward and do not wish to IPA wipe if I can avoid it. A one step polish WITHOUT the +seal..etc in it. I realize things and products have changed a good deal, but I did hang on to my 7424xp. I sold my LC pads, so I will have to repurchase those. I was thinking a light cut/finishing pad, with minimally aggressive polish. I also sold my Brinkman when I moved so, sunlight capture will have to work for now. Thoughts? I track it and drive it, so it will never be 100%, but its say a good solid 80 now, and I could easily get this car to local show standard.

My automotive related blog! http://hereishowiviewthings.blogspot.com/

Re: re-n00b, light cut-oil free

Larry really likes to use M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, and in my opinion it wipes off really clean. I hear people say it's oily, but I just don't see it.

M205 paired with green Buff and Shine pads would probably hit that target too.

I used some M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 today, which is sort of an old school product that also seems to wipe off really clean. Performance wise, I feel I can accomplish a better finish in less time with M205, but M09 will finish out very nice regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
      Larry really likes to use M205 Ultra Finishing Polish, and in my opinion it wipes off really clean. I hear people say it's oily, but I just don't see it.

M205 paired with green Buff and Shine pads would probably hit that target too.

I used some M09 Swirl Remover 2.0 today, which is sort of an old school product that also seems to wipe off really clean. Performance wise, I feel I can accomplish a better finish in less time with M205, but M09 will finish out very nice regardless.
      Agreed. Of course 105/205 used to be my go to, toss in some over the counter Megs UC from time to time, for a "1 pass" polish. Just wasn't sure what else is out there. In my mind Larry is still going 105/205 all the time, so its probably still the good stuff.
      My automotive related blog! http://hereishowiviewthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good luck finding a polish that does not contain polishing oils. It is there to act as a lubricating agent between the pad and paint. It does not take much effort to do a prep wipe. You could even do it after you polish a section during the wipe off process. M205 does contain trade secret oils and may require an additional wipe.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');