• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help, How to Remove M105 Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, How to Remove M105 Dust

Did some work on small area of roof and dust is stuck on part of hood and doors. Final inspection not removing, only hard hand rubbing with M105 gets the junk off.

Hot and humid in garage here in FL.

Thanks for your help!

p.s. Should I get a bottle of UC instead? Trying to remove scratches on roof of new car, 1st set of passes reduced +/- 40, didn't put HEAVY pressure on it but more work to do...

Stephan
    2018 Acura RLX Tech - Majestic Black Pearl

Re: Help, How to Remove M105 Dust

Would clay be easier and/or better?

Comment

Yeah, the clay would probably be better.

The Ultimate Compound is much, much more forgiving.

Comment

Are you using a machine polisher?

If so, what pad? How how are you setting up the pad for work? What speed, and how many passes?

M105 likes firm pressure, and fewer passes. I can usually squeeze two, maybe three passes at speed 5. I try to get things done before the lubricant in the compound dries out.

Comment

Using a G110v2, with an older 3" yellow Megs pad on speed 4.5. I was doing 3 passes, then 2 or so light passes but I probably worked it for too long. I used the 3 inch because I was working on the side and front of moonroof which are fairly narrow areas. I do have new 5" softbuff pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
            Using a G110v2, with an older 3" yellow Megs pad on speed 4.5. I was doing 3 passes, then 2 or so light passes but I probably worked it for too long. I used the 3 inch because I was working on the side and front of moonroof which are fairly narrow areas. I do have new 5" softbuff pads.
            Ok.

If I start working the products, and I start to see it dry out, I'll add a drop or two of product, and keep going.

Did the clay work to remove the excess spots?

Comment

Thanks for you suggestions Dan, hot as balls here in Southern FL today. Between errands, picking up some UC at Adv Auto, etc., I haven't tested the clay yet. I splattered/dusted M105 from the roof by the moon roof. I've only clayed the roof so far (before the M105), and only have bad scratches up there so M205 should take me home after claying the rest of the car. I will do a clay test tommorow, but the car has that Xillon **** on it from the dealer, so until I fix the scratches with M105 or UC, I'm not going clay crazy. GONNA WORK MY WAY DOWN FROM TOP TO BOTTOM with clay and 205 after fixing the bad spots from crappy dealer washing practices.

I greatly appreciate your help, in spite of >90 views your were the only responses I received as of this writing.

Stephan

Comment

I tested a couple spots (side view mirror and arm and small spot at top of door) and it comes off easy with clay. Since I have to clay the whole car anywho, after I fix the bad scratch spots, should be golden. Didn't want to M105 large parts of the car that don't need M105. The whole car needs clay and M205, was in lot for 3 months the best I can tell and was treated like ****.

Car is "new", 8 miles on odometer, but was washed by morons. They coated the car with filler wax or whatever and I didn't find errors for a week *^$#%!!!

You are my hero of the day!

Comment

Stephan
                  I would have posted this earlier, yet I see you are not new to the forums. You have a higher Rep Power than I.
                  Yet you used this phrase "I splattered/dusted M105 from the roof by the moon roof."
                  Just double checking that you are not starting the DA while it is lifted above the surface. The rotation of the pad can then cause sling of larger drops of the product.

Some times, we hold off posting if we see someone like DrumDan picks up a thread. Working one on one, can frequently get to results faster and with less diversion.

I am adding to DrumDan's Rep for his good help with you on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                    Stephan
                    I would have posted this earlier, yet I see you are not new to the forums. You have a higher Rep Power than I.
                    Yet you used this phrase "I splattered/dusted M105 from the roof by the moon roof."
                    Just double checking that you are not starting the DA while it is lifted above the surface. The rotation of the pad can then cause sling of larger drops of the product.

Some times, we hold off posting if we see someone like DrumDan picks up a thread. Working one on one, can frequently get to results faster and with less diversion.

I am adding to DrumDan's Rep for his good help with you on this thread.
                    Thanks, After doing some more work today, I got some dust, and only a cpl "splatters (dots)". I think I went to heavy on M105 first try and lifted between the 2 different areas, causing splatter (a lot). Todays minute dusting was from overworking. The splatter removal was my concern as I didn't want to use 105 for removal on large areas that I still have to clay and 205 anyhow.

The only problem with the clay is I still have spots/dust near panel joints. Hopefully the 205 will help there.

Finally, I haven't been on here in a couple years since I prepped my last new car and never used M105 because I never got a car with this crappy of a surface on it. I didn't see the scratches for a week and if they can't wash the darn car properly, I didn't want them near it with defect removal. Searching for a real detailer here in Palm Beach area of FL only showed up Car Washes! So as the saying goes, if you want it done right, do it yourself...

Thanks again!

Comment

DISO = Dealer Installed Swirl Options
                      They are starting to come standard on most new cars.

Comment

It might be good to try to flush the joints out some before using M205.
                        My thoughts include M105 and M205 use SMAT Technology.
                        I am not sure if the "particles" are the same size as in M105 only fewer or if they are smaller in M205.
                        If M205 has smaller SMAT particles, I would not want to contaminate with larger particles.

Comment

I know the DISO, thats how I found Meguiars years ago These are bad scratches, see area in photo 1 top left (and near top right) of fluorescent lite reflection on black paint. Pic 2 shows the white specs on door handle and above (not to mention door and hood, et al).[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Ouch, Hard to tell from images, yet the scratches look deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephan View Post
                              Thanks for you suggestions Dan, hot as balls here in Southern FL today. Between errands, picking up some UC at Adv Auto, etc., I haven't tested the clay yet. I splattered/dusted M105 from the roof by the moon roof. I've only clayed the roof so far (before the M105), and only have bad scratches up there so M205 should take me home after claying the rest of the car. I will do a clay test tommorow, but the car has that Xillon **** on it from the dealer, so until I fix the scratches with M105 or UC, I'm not going clay crazy. GONNA WORK MY WAY DOWN FROM TOP TO BOTTOM with clay and 205 after fixing the bad spots from crappy dealer washing practices.

I greatly appreciate your help, in spite of >90 views your were the only responses I received as of this writing.

Stephan
                              Sounds like a good plan of attack.

Here in MI I had two jobs in the 90 degree heat myself, and it wasn't as much fun as usual.

Always a pleasure to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');