• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miscellaneous Catchup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous Catchup

Old soul trying to catch up with technology. Apparently I have been washing & waxing incorrectly for years. Example: I was waxing, then polishing. As I come up to speed there will be many questions. I

Re: Miscellaneous Catchup

Ok, tried to edit but got timed out.
    many questions. I’m already confused about so many products, but will save for later. I’ve been reading reading reading.
    Chamois: Have all the little chamois died out along with the dinosaurs? Seem to have been replaced by microfiber. Is there a legitimate reason that microfiber is better for drying?
    Whats wrong with my old random orbital polisher that used applicator bonnets, terry cloth bonnets, etc.? Same action as the new DAP.? I just bought a new DAP due to recommendations here, but I’m not sure about the difference. Just what are the concerns?
    And what about order of washing? I’ve probably been doing that out of order too, since I have always waxed before polishing.
    Ok, enough elementary questions for now Watson.

Comment

Polishes generally leave no protection. They just polish. Waxes/Sealants provide the protection. If you wax, and then polish, you are simply taking the wax off. As for the radon orbital polisher, that is what I use. If you have no paint correction to do, they are fine. If you have some serious correction to do, you need something with more "oomf" (power) to do the job. I also have the DAP, which I use to deal with a specific problem, but would not ever think of doing an entire car with. The thing on the end of a drill is just not comfortable to use. Haven't used a chamois in years, and just use my drying microfiber a little as I use a leaf blower to dry my cars. The microfiber seems just easier to use. No sure about your washing question, but most people suggest doing the wheels first, and then the roof, and down. I do my wheels last just to be different,

Comment

I like the old school random orbital buffers for some reason. They're especially great with cleaner waxes.

The advantage of a Porter Cable 7424 type random orbital is that it has variable speeds. It tops out around 6000 opm, where the old school tool is between 3600, and 4500 depending on the model.

The variable speed tool also supports different sized backing plates, which in turn supports a multitude of pad options, where the old school buffer has a fixed backing, and only takes bonnets.

Comment

Yep, I found my polish/wax mistake on this forum. As far as my old random orbital I had upsized several years ago from 6

Comment

Why do my posts keep gettin cut short? I just posted some comments as followup, but only a few words got posted.

Comment

Trying to make this short and sweet. Tired of typing and losing everything.
              Regarding wash steps order; I will switch to wheels first because I see the advantage. But what next; interior or body and why?

Comment

Baklash
                The site is having a problem truncating once in a while.
                It seems to occur when using a single or double quote. Single quote is also the apostrophe symbol.
                Avoiding using the quote and apostrophe symbols when typing will help get your info out.
                Examples: Use: I am, It is, inches without using the quote symbols.
                Hope this helps.

Tech Speak: This likely came about when character sets were increased for more languages. Some character sets (like some phones appear to use) may be sending an end of file message when they mean to send quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Baklash View Post
                  Trying to make this short and sweet. Tired of typing and losing everything.
                  Regarding wash steps order; I will switch to wheels first because I see the advantage. But what next; interior or body and why?
                  Describe your ride for us. It isn't always the same.
                  Show car? Daily Driver? Garage kept? Outside in the shade under the Dove's tree?
                  Miata, us older folks can do in less time than a big ol Georgia extended cab 4X4, complete with mud and hundreds of "flying teeth" and Love Bugs. The later, we might need to divide and conquer.

Comment

Baklash
                    Just think of this as Old Bear helping an Old Soul get caught up.

Here is a video that is part of the new FaceBook Live set.
                    Michael Stoops presents: Meguiar's Facebook Live - Tip of the Month - Washing - January 2017

Also, this thread had an earlier video that has been removed. However the images and text help expand on two bucket wash and washing techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by Baklash View Post
                      Why do my posts keep gettin cut short? I just posted some comments as followup, but only a few words got posted.
                      If you have a habit of using proper punctuation marks, part of your post will be deleted.

I just had that happen with after using the "degrees", and "plus" icons...

Comment

Sorry for my delay. Both cars are garage kept. I have decided to go with wheels first. Sounds reasonable although I always did them last. But after the wheels an wheel wells what is next? The inside or the outside body and why is one better than the other?
                        Oldbear thanks for the video.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');