• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with paint work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with paint work

Hi everyone,

In may I purchased a 2018 black Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan. I have been doing weekly washes to the car because I want to keep it looking nice as possible as much as possible. I am new to detailing/car maintenance so I just had a few questions/need some help.

1. I have been using 2 different waffle weave drying towels to dry my vehicle after the wash (Meguiar's and Chemical Guys). I am noticing some light scratches around the vehicle (I don't believe they are through the clear coat). Maybe I am doing some improper techniques? Usually I have been dampening the towel and wringing it out prior to drying, but I find myself folding the towel and dragging/rubbing it across the paint as opposed to dabbing or gliding the towel. In order for me to get rid of these light scratches around the car, what type of products would be my best bet? Scratch-x or ultimate compound? Anything else?

2. I have also recently noticed some spots/blemishes on my left side mirror that do not seem to come out with a wash, or with UQD. I have been using UQD at times prior to these spots showing up, so could it be overspray and drying from the UQD or water spots, or something else? In order for me to get rid of these spots, what would you recommend? Would the ultimate compound or the scratch-x work in this case? I have included some pictures in the post (don't mind the dust).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Re: Need some help with paint work

Welcome Tuc,

The waffle weave towels are great for drying. I don't believe I've ever created swirls using them myself when taking care of my parents cars. Also consider what procedures you do when washing the car. Research or google two bucket method if you're not doing it yet.

Comment

I have been using the 2 bucket method with grit guard in the wash bucket. First I rinse down the car with the hose and then I use a microfiber wash mitt to wash each panel. I then rinse and dry each panel at a time before moving onto the next one. Maybe the light scratches are from the seal ship and I am just noticing them in the direct sunlight. Maybe my methods of washing the car are okay, but I am just looking for recommendations to get rid of them and prevent them from happening again

Comment

If the car came pretty clean from the dealer, it will probably start to pick up some hard water stains, bug guts, etc over time.

That is where claying, and a paint cleaner will come in.

Ult Polish is a mild cleaner with some polishing oils. Ult. Compound is a bit stronger (although still fairly mild applied by hand with a foam applicator). One of those two would likely do the job for you.

And then if you wanted to wax after, you could pick the Ult. Wax.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');