• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking some advice on polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking some advice on polishing

Hi all,

I have the G220v2 with 6" polishing pads.
    I would like to know what you do on smaller sections and curves/edges?

Would you hand rub smaller sections with an "Even Pad" and how small should a section be before you decide not to use the DA polisher?
    I ask this because I find it hard to control the DA polisher on smaller sections, for instance around the fenders or maybe at the doors if these have some curves, without getting up on the edge of the pad. I just used an old bottle of M80 Speed Glaze with the "Cutting Pad" (DFC6) on speed 5, but I find it hard to control if I dont have a firm pressure on the DA polisher and keeping the pad flat against the paint - I find that if I don't, the pad will also fly off.

Furthermore, how careful should I be when I move around curves/edges, for instance on the hood where it can be hard to keep the pad flat against the paint?

Well, to sum up the questions:
    1. When and how do you hand polish?
    2. How to handle curves/edges with the DA polisher, for instance on the hood?

Re: Seeking some advice on polishing

Mike Phillips always said "let the panel be your guide".

When you can't comfortably use the pad and maintain rotation, it's either time to switch to a small plat/pad, or manually polish the paint.

Curves and edges... What are you encountering? Is the pad stalling, or is it just difficult to control? If it's hard to control, try backing off the speed to three or four.

You mention the pad wanting to fly off. What backing plate are you using?

Comment

Hi Drumdan,

First I have to correct myself - I was using a 7" W7207 Cutting Pad, not a 6". My bad.
      Well, my job was to remove some light to moderate scratches in the paint of my car.
      Starting with the least aggresive approach as possible, I found out that M80 Speed Glaze together with the 7" polishing pad W8207 wasn't enough. Instead of using a heavier compound I upgraded to a cutting pad W7207. And it did the job pretty well. But just last night I found threads from this forum stating the cutting pad W7207 should not be used with a DA polisher, I'm a little confused

Nevertheless, I encountered especially when working on vertical panels that the pad would fly of, or the edges beginning to flap if I did not hold it 100% flat against the paint.
      Remember I had the speed on 5 - if I turned it down to 3 there would be no problem.
      I use the backing plate the G220v2 came with originally.

Regarding edges and curves - I uploaded two pictures to demonstrate.
      Especially around edges I encountered the cutting pad would fly of because it was not 100% flat against the paint. This I had to do by hand.
      But I was actually more concerned about curves like these when you hit them with the side of the pad, it is hard to keep the pad flat against the paint and you can't avoid using the edges a little bit if you do pass over them:

Comment

I would recommend getting a smaller backing plate or a dedicated smaller DA + backing plate for those curved edges.

You are going to have issues with larger pads for areas like that especially on the hood. The fenders can be done with larger pads with a little adjustment to technique. The door ding protectors may need to be done by hand unless you have a small tool like the Rupes iBrid or possibly a 3" set up may work as well. Difficult to say without physically being there.

Have you considered going to a 5" backing plate and 5" pads? You would get better performance.
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Hi Guz,

Yes I have.
          As mentioned I have the 7" Wx207 pads right now - and I 'm not even sure you can get 7" from Meguiars anymore.
          Looking at Meguiars Direct it seems like both the Wx207 series of pads and size 7" is not available anymore. I guess the replacement most be the the 5" and 6" soft buff foam pads (DFx5 and DFx6)
          If someone can confirm - please do so.

Will a new backing plate fit my old G220v2?

Today I continued the work on my car with Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze.
          Just as I experienced the other day with the cutting pad on speed 5, the finishing pad on speed 3 would also fly off or at least begin to flap.
          I tried taking a picture of this:

Comment

Yes the new backing plate will fit on your DA. Meguiar's only offers the 5" and 6" foam pads for the DA.

Sounds like you are in need of replacing that backing plate as it is no longer hanging on to the pads.
            99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by Vifa View Post
              Hi Drumdan,

First I have to correct myself - I was using a 7" W7207 Cutting Pad, not a 6". My bad.
              Well, my job was to remove some light to moderate scratches in the paint of my car.
              Starting with the least aggresive approach as possible, I found out that M80 Speed Glaze together with the 7" polishing pad W8207 wasn't enough. Instead of using a heavier compound I upgraded to a cutting pad W7207. And it did the job pretty well. But just last night I found threads from this forum stating the cutting pad W7207 should not be used with a DA polisher, I'm a little confused

Nevertheless, I encountered especially when working on vertical panels that the pad would fly of, or the edges beginning to flap if I did not hold it 100% flat against the paint.
              Remember I had the speed on 5 - if I turned it down to 3 there would be no problem.
              I use the backing plate the G220v2 came with originally.

Regarding edges and curves - I uploaded two pictures to demonstrate.
              Especially around edges I encountered the cutting pad would fly of because it was not 100% flat against the paint. This I had to do by hand.
              But I was actually more concerned about curves like these when you hit them with the side of the pad, it is hard to keep the pad flat against the paint and you can't avoid using the edges a little bit if you do pass over them:

The old cutting pad wasn't recommended because it could cause some hazing on some paints. The new version works great with any type of tool.

When I encounter those, the foam at the edge of the pad contours to facilitate the angle. Some I will also do by hand.

If the pad is flying off, the loop material on the pad might be worn, the hook material on your plate might be worn, or a combination of the two.

Comment

Seems strange if they should be worn.
                I have had this set for several years, but never really used it. I did a full car last year with #7 using only the finishing pad, unpacked the polishing pad and cutting pad a couple of days ago and used these for the first time. This is only the second time I detail a car with this set

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
                When I encounter those, the foam at the edge of the pad contours to facilitate the angle. Some I will also do by hand.
                I am not sure I understand, would you please care to elaborate?
                You say that the foam pad would accommodate the curves, but you would still do the sections around the curves by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Vifa View Post
                  Seems strange if they should be worn.
                  I have had this set for several years, but never really used it. I did a full car last year with #7 using only the finishing pad, unpacked the polishing pad and cutting pad a couple of days ago and used these for the first time. This is only the second time I detail a car with this set

I am not sure I understand, would you please care to elaborate?
                  You say that the foam pad would accommodate the curves, but you would still do the sections around the curves by hand?
                  I'll try and make a video demonstration for you.

Comment

I'll try and make a video demonstration for you.
                    Sounds really great, I appreciate it
                    Cannot wait to see it

Comment

Vifa, let's see if this works.

The truck is a bright yellow making it difficult to see the angle, but hopefully it comes through.

Please excuse the cruidity of the video. It's difficult filming and polishing at the same time.

Comment

Please excuse the cruidity of the video. It's difficult filming and polishing at the same time.
                        I know

Thank you for the video

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');