• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Products - Which Order ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Products - Which Order ?

Guys -
    I have the following products by Meguiars and wonder in what order should I apply them for fixing paint defects and scratches especially ?
    M-85
    M-105
    M-205
    Ultimate Compound
    Scratch X 2.0

I recently (finally !) bought a DA polisher, so that comes into the equation as well.
    Previously, I was applying these products BY HAND ONLY.
    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Re: Products - Which Order ?

This is my recommendation from least aggressive to more aggressive with DA.
    Keep in mind that technique and pad size and material change aggressiveness too.
    Do test spots (in top down) until you are getting the results you want.
    If M205 finishes well, then there is no need for more aggressive compounding.

M205 (least aggressive)
    Ultimate Compound
    M105

I would keep the M85 for rotary use.
    I would keep the scratch X 2.0 for hand use.

If a compound is needed to remove swirls/scratches, yet leaves some DA haze, use it and then follow up with M205 for a shiny finish.

Comment

Thanks Bear.
      Can we say that M205 is Meguiar's finest compound....i.e. highest gloss ?
      If not, which is ?
      2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
        Thanks Bear.
        Can we say that M205 is Meguiar's finest compound....i.e. highest gloss ?
        If not, which is ?
        I have heard many say that M205 can be versatile. It provides good gloss, as well as some cutting ability. Technique (tool speed, pressure, number of section passes) and pad selection matter.
        Ultimate Polish is derived from M205. It contains more oils and could finish with a touch more gloss, again depending on technique.
        There is a wonderful old product that works very well on single stage paint. M07 is a glaze. Car Show Enthusiasts use this for an extra pop the night before a show. The added gloss is short lived. I don't know how your recent (2014) 2 stage paint would react to M07 or a newer glaze.

Here is a link and quote from Michael Stoops.
        "As you suspect, M205 will likely be more than sufficient for those fine swirls that have just begun to show up. But doing an additional step with something like M03 (or the rough equivalent M05 and/or M07) will be an exercise in hair splitting. M205 will likely do more to refine the finish, enhance clarity and boost gloss than those other products would. You may find that M205 on a polishing pad removes the defects in question, and a second pass with M205 on a finishing pad (as per The Guz's recommendation) gets you to the level you seek prior to waxing or sealing the paint."
        https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?64296-One-Two-Three-punch!-Missing-the-quot-Three-quot&highlight=m205

=======================================
        M07 can be important to replenish oils when restoring an older single stage paint (no clear coat) that has been ignored (abused). Here is a very well documented active thread were it is an early step in the restoration process.
        In-Progress: 1986 Porsche 951 (Guards Red)

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?66754-In-Progress-1986-Porsche-951-(Guards-Red)

Comment

In Michael Stoops' response, he suggests that a second pass on a panel with M205 and a finishing pad may help get to an even higher level of gloss. If we think about it, he is speaking to the versatility of M205. In discussions with Michael he also reminds us that we can change our technique with this pad change. By reducing the speed, reducing the pressure and reducing down to 2 or 3 section (2 ft by 2 ft) passes, we reduce the aggressiveness. Combining that with M205 versatility, we move from a mild cutting polish to a great finishing polish.

Comment

Thanks much Bear, but you didn't mention UC at all. Where does that stand compared to M-85 and M-105 ?

Comment

Thanks much Bear, but you didn't mention UC at all. Where does that stand compared to M-85 and M-105 ?
              See post #2 in this thread.

Comment

Guys -
                I have the following products by Meguiars and wonder in what order should I apply them for fixing paint defects and scratches especially ?
                M-85
                M-105
                M-205
                Ultimate Compound
                Scratch X 2.0

I recently (finally !) bought a DA polisher, so that comes into the equation as well.
                Previously, I was applying these products BY HAND ONLY.

Weren't you just telling someone about these products on another thread?

M105 is not aggressive....in fact, it's almost a final polish in some cases (usually M205 is the final).
                For deep scratches, you'll likely need to wet sand with #2000 paper...then remove the scratches with ScratchX 2.0.
                Finally, finish-up with M205.
                For those spots with peeling clear coat....you are SOL and will likely need a panel re-paint job.
                You might get away with touching up the spots with a clear coating.
                Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Blackjku View Post
                  Weren't you just telling someone about these products on another thread?
                  Yes, but I am unsure of myself. It's simply amazing that someone from Meguiar's doesn't chime-in here.
                  IMHO the BIG PROBLEM with Meguiar's products are that the product numbers have nothing to do with the "cut" potential and "roughness".

Comment

Yes, but I am unsure of myself. It's simply amazing that someone from Meguiar's doesn't chime-in here.
                    IMHO the BIG PROBLEM with Meguiar's products are that the product numbers have nothing to do with the "cut" potential and "roughness".
                    Well I bet Nick will soon, as I know he chimed in on the other forum but...

Since you are talking strictly about the professional grade products (105, 205 ect) then maybe you are familiar with the bottles they even have the indicator on them saying the "light cut" to "extra heavy cut"
                    That's a pretty sure way to tell the level of cut.

Ultimate compound was derived from 105 for the consumer
                    Ultimate polish was derived from 205 for the consumer

Unless you are working with a rotary you don't really need to worry about 85, if you have this many questions about the products I recommend you stay away from a rotary polisher until you get a little more practice.
                    A DA is a much more user friendly way to go, and then you can use the consumer type brands.

Or you can go and get the microfiber cutting disk and finishing disk and their respective compound/polish. That system is the cleanest and fastest system I have ever used.

Comment

And you think Meguiars products numbers have nothing to do with the actual product lol go take a look at the chemical guys website. I believe they have created three maybe four products and they put different scents and dyes in each one and call it something waaaaayyyy off the wall. LOL

Comment

Check out this thread and these videos. You don't need to use all of those products. If I were to make one recommendation that would be to not start off with M105. It has it's own technique and has a slight learning curve. Avoid the frustration and get UC or M11 or M101. I would stick with M205 over UP but that is just my personal preference. Try them both out and see which you like better.

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...t-surprise-you!

Good video of using the ultimate twins by hand and machine

99 Grand Prix
                        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Well, maybe not so unusual. Yet we all know that a Porsche 981 Boxster is fancier and faster than any Porsche 911. Ummmm Maybe not, yet both are very good sports cars.

You will learn the products that you will work with on your car.
                          Try not to go too broad in the products group.
                          The Ultimate line is very good.
                          M105/205 are very good.

I encourage you to make sure that you do your first test section with M205. If it gets you the results you want, there will be no need to go to more aggressive products.

Comment

My rotary polisher was too heavy to handle.
                            I final purchased a Torqx DA polisher...however, I have not been able to find any info on which color pad to use.
                            There appears to be no tech support whatsoever.

Comment

My rotary polisher was too heavy to handle.
                              I final purchased a Torqx DA polisher...however, I have not been able to find any info on which color pad to use.
                              There appears to be no tech support whatsoever.
                              To heavy to handle? are you trolling?

you bought a $150 DA and have no clue about what goes with it?
                              If you are serious, get the Microfiber disk kit, or go get a a 5 inch backing plate, and a red, yellow, and black Meguiar's foam pads. Start with just a polish and the yellow pad or if you want get the technique down with some wax and the black pad.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');