• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!! tar spot removal white paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help!!! tar spot removal white paint

Originally posted by Purple Towel Detailing View Post
    Not Goo-Gone, try Goof-Off. Very different product and not available in a gel. It's a paint remover and can be found in the paint isle at Home Depot.
    I will obviously try a test spot in a location that can't be seen but how safe is this for Painted plastics on a car? the spots I am trying to remove are painted moldings around the wheel wells (all factory paint)? I bought some today from Home Depot and it says its for Asphalt and tar ( the pro strength stuff) I dont want it to melt the plastic.

Comment

It would have to eat through the clearcoat, the paint and the primer to affect the plastic in any way (it can't go through the paint to only harm the plastic base). I've used it before on different finishes and it works fine without harming the clearcoat. You will strip EVERYTHING off of the paint, though, so be sure to put some wax down when you're done to protect everything.
      Purple Towel Auto Detailing
      @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Good news it didn

Comment

And I forgot about the punctuation

Try to stay with me without the correct grammar

It did not eat the paint or plastic or anything

It also did not even touch the stains not a thing I cannot believe that there is nothing out there that can take these stains off the paint

I ordered some heavy duty clay that I am going to give a shot

Also some 105 to cut the time it takes to cut

I guess I am going to have to just work on putting clear bra over these areas

Comment

WOW!

I'm really outa ideas. Ya think that it may NOT be tar? Can you feel it or does it lay flat? If you can feel it, possible you can scrap it off with your finger nail?

From the pic you show, is that the only area that is affected?

Bill

Comment

It may not be tar it may be the sealer they use. It lays flat. It only is on the painted plastic moldings it sprays on the paint but comes right out. So it

Comment

So it is around the painted plastic moldings around the wheel well and on the side skirts that are plastic

Comment

Looks like staining and not road tar. How did a cut & polish work on it?
                  @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Towel Detailing View Post
                    Looks like staining and not road tar. How did a cut & polish work on it?
                    It works well takes a bit of time to get it leveled out but I cannot cut and polish each time it happens I will not have and paint left.

I think I may have to cut and polish then clear bra the areas that are effected.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackjku View Post
                      It works well takes a bit of time to get it leveled out but I cannot cut and polish each time it happens I will not have and paint left.

I think I may have to cut and polish then clear bra the areas that are effected.
                      This has happened before?

I have to agree with Purple>staining. But like I said, I'm atta lose for ideas.

OT: If Purple Towel is still reading, GREAT job on that tar covered Subaru!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                        OT: If Purple Towel is still reading, GREAT job on that tar covered Subaru!
                        Thanks! It was a workout but turned out beautifully.
                        @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

So my conclusion on this will be to cut/polish until the spots are gone and I bought some 3m PPF and I will be covering all the effected parts immediately. Then work my way around the car covering most everything else.

thank you for everyone's help it is very much appreciated.

Comment

Just throwing this at the wall...after trying just about everything under the sun and it does look like you are fighting staining more than 'tar chunks'. Take a Q-Tip with a TINY bit of household bleach and try it on a spot. Sometime using something that is super basic (speaking chemically) react favorable (in this case) with a problem.

If that does nuttin'...give vinegar a try-same technique. Going acidic in this scheme.

Good luck (really)!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                              Just throwing this at the wall...after trying just about everything under the sun and it does look like you are fighting staining more than 'tar chunks'. Take a Q-Tip with a TINY bit of household bleach and try it on a spot. Sometime using something that is super basic (speaking chemically) react favorable (in this case) with a problem.

If that does nuttin'...give vinegar a try-same technique. Going acidic in this scheme.

Good luck (really)!

Bill
                              A few days ago I was wondering what bleach would do to white paint??? i thought it may be time to get the scrubbing bubble's out lol then just work my way inside and clean the showers.

I will give it a shot later tonight. I haven't done anything to it for a couple of days (mostly because I am frustrated) and I was waiting on the roll of clear bra to get to my house. This weekend I will be applying that.

Comment

You indicated that the city/county is doing a lot of this work.
                                Would it be worth a call to them. Let them know the damage, time and expense to repair. They may decide to extend the time that the lanes are unavailable to balance availability with damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');