• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!!! tar spot removal white paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!! tar spot removal white paint

Alright everyone need some help.... I have these tar spots on my White car they only stick to the painted plastic parts.

I live in a city that decided to do all road construction on every road this summer 2018, on Monday night I spent time and used the microfiber cutting system and after a while they came out.

List of things I have tried:
    Washing (these are within 12 hours old) I wiped the bulk tar pieces off 10 minutes after I went through construction with Waterless wash and wax.
    Clay
    Ultimate Wax
    Ultimate Polish on Yellow Foam pad
    Ultimate polish on heavy cut Foam pad
    Ultimate compound on Heavy cut Foam pad (this got most out)
    Ultimate compound on Microfiber cutting disk (this worked but I cant do that everytime or I wont have paint left)

Today after it happened I have tried:
    Bug and tar remover 2 different brands (letting it dwell for a good long while about 15 minutes)
    gasoline
    Hydrogen Peroxide (not really sure why but hey)

no luck......
    I hate seeing these spots and you cant really make them out from a foot or two away but brand new car and I dont want them there.

[IMG]IMG_2018.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Help!!! tar spot removal white paint

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Terese/Downloads/IMG_2018.jpg[/IMG]

I cant get the photo to upload

Comment

You can load your image from your PC to your Gallery.
      Then you can add it to a post.

See this thread,

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
        You can load your image from your PC to your Gallery.
        Then you can add it to a post.

See this thread,
        http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...g-Photo-Albums
        Alright that was easier than I thought! Thank you

Comment

Comment

Let us see if I made your image larger. Now the spots are more visible.

Comment

Gonna suggest a non-Meguiar's product...Stoner's Tarminator. That and good 'ol kerosene.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                Gonna suggest a non-Meguiar's product...Stoner's Tarminator. That and good 'ol kerosene.

Bill
                How will Kerosene react to painted plastics? Should I expect some softening?
                I found some tarminator in stock at a local auto supply, I will pick it up today and give it a whirl.

Anything you can suggest to protect this? I have a couple of coats of Ultimate wax on there and I clean every other day with Waterless Wash and Wax and Wash once to twice a week depending on the level of dirtiness.

I was thinking about throwing a carnauba wax over the ultimate wax for a layer of protection that kind of embedded itself into the paint?? (not sure if that ie really the way it works or not.)

Comment

Bill
                  Tarminator was a no go..... I didn't let it dwell for a long time but... still no changes. Should I let it dwell for a bit of time?

Comment

I have never had a problem using kerosene. BUT that doesn't mean there couldn't be, but I really doubt any problem will show up. Just try a small area first to see how it performs. Using kerosene is a perfect examble of "like removing like". It is actually a solvent for many tar based product during production. Kero is really a pretty benign petro-just stinks to high heaven!

I will add, living where 'they' use a lot of seal-coat, no matter have carefully one drives, ya just can't NOT get the stuff on your vehicle. Hence, I've always just grabbed the kero jug.

Sorry to hear that Tarminator didn't work.

Bill

Comment

I have never had a problem using kerosene. BUT that doesn't mean there couldn't be, but I really doubt any problem will show up. Just try a small area first to see how it performs. Using kerosene is a perfect examble of "like removing like". It is actually a solvent for many tar based product during production. Kero is really a pretty benign petro-just stinks to high heaven!

I will add, living where 'they' use a lot of seal-coat, no matter have carefully one drives, ya just can't NOT get the stuff on your vehicle. Hence, I've always just grabbed the kero jug.

Sorry to hear that Tarminator didn't work.

Bill

I tried Kerosene last night, granted it was a old jug (which I don't know if it has anything to do with it) but it didn't take them off, maybe helped a little. I didn't sit it there for a while, should I hold a rag on it for a longer time I did about a minute?

I also used lacquer thinner, that seemed to work about as well as the kerosene but didn't remove them.

I was thinking about getting some Trix by Carpros but I don't see a point in buying any other tar removers as I dont see anything being much better than Kerosene or thinner...

Comment

I had some road tar on a customer's car that did not come off with ANYTHING in my usual bag of tricks, including Tarminator, kerosene and gasoline.

The only thing that worked was Goof-Off.

I'm guessing that it isn't tar, but some type of road sealant or blacktop.
                        Purple Towel Auto Detailing
                        @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Towel Detailing View Post
                          I had some road tar on a customer's car that did not come off with ANYTHING in my usual bag of tricks, including Tarminator, kerosene and gasoline.

The only thing that worked was Goof-Off.

I'm guessing that it isn't tar, but some type of road sealant or blacktop.
                          I guess so, goo-off didnt touch it however I used the "automotive" gel style so its not the traditional in the can style... I was thinking maybe pb blaster? I have not tried that one. I will get some traditional goo off but I dont see that being better than just straight thinner.

Comment

Not Goo-Gone, try Goof-Off. Very different product and not available in a gel. It's a paint remover and can be found in the paint isle at Home Depot.
                            Purple Towel Auto Detailing
                            @purpletoweldetailing

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Towel Detailing View Post
                              Not Goo-Gone, try Goof-Off. Very different product and not available in a gel. It's a paint remover and can be found in the paint isle at Home Depot.
                              Oh very interesting I will try that tonight! lets cross our fingers I can't compound over and over again

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');