• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

washing/waxing new Mustang Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washing/waxing new Mustang Convertible

Hi All,

Sorry if this was answered before, but I could not find details.

I am getting new Mustang Convertable with a race stripe, and want to start waxing it myself. After reading forums and reviewes I think I have good idea, but would love coments. I also would like to point out that since it is convertable and it has a race stripe, the amout of open metal is much smaller. It will be a daily driver and my main point is to protect paint and have a nice looking car, not nessesary a show looking car.

So my plan:

Wash:
    Use power washer, microfiber glove and microfiber towels.
    Use M62 Mirror Glaze Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner

Wax:
    Use PORTER-CABLE 7424XP with 5" Microfiber disks (DMCKIT5 kit)
    Use D301 and D300 if needed

Few questions:
    Since it is a new car, I would assume that D300 is not needed, would it be a good assamption?
    Since it is a convertable and has a stripe, should I just put wax by hand?
    I've read a lot of M205, but my understanding that D301 would provide better protection since it is a wax, right?
    Should I do anything special for the fabric top/strip/bumpers/etc...

Thanks,

Vadim

Re: washing/waxing new Mustang Convertible

Few questions:

Since it is a new car, I would assume that D300 is not needed, would it be a good assamption?
    Hopefully.

Since it is a convertable and has a stripe, should I just put wax by hand?
    Yeah, I wouldnt want to pull an edge up.

I've read a lot of M205, but my understanding that D301 would provide better protection since it is a wax, right?
    D301 is a cleaner/polish/wax. M205 is a cleaner/polish. So yeah, M205 would not offer any protection, and would need a seperate wax after. Some people like to do that, some like a quicker one step.

Should I do anything special for the fabric top/strip/bumpers/etc...
    There are fabric cleaners and protectants out there, Meguiars might even have some again. Waxing the stripes should be good. If the bumpers have black trim, you can use a trim detailer if you want, like the Ult. Black.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Yeah, I wouldnt want to pull an edge up.
      So would you recomend to do stripe by hand or whole car by hand? I am pointing out that this is a convertable, and it has a large stripe, so there is not that much body left

Waxing the stripes should be good. If the bumpers have black trim, you can use a trim detailer if you want, like the Ult. Black.
      Bumpers are body color (red), so I am assuming there is nothing special, just do as the rest of the car? How should I put wax on the stripes?

Thanks,

Vadim

Comment

So would you recomend to do stripe by hand or whole car by hand? I am pointing out that this is a convertable, and it has a large stripe, so there is not that much body left
        Thats just up to you about the rest of the car. If there is no defects, by hand would be fairly quick. Removing defects (swirls, etc) by hand *****.

So if you did the machine for the rest of the car, you would just stay like an inch away from the stripe, and then do that edge by hand.

Bumpers are body color (red), so I am assuming there is nothing special, just do as the rest of the car? How should I put wax on the stripes?
        Yeah, bumpers would be like the car then.

I should ask if the stripe is smooth/glossy? Not a matte/rough stripe?

Comment

Thats just up to you about the rest of the car. If there is no defects, by hand would be fairly quick. Removing defects (swirls, etc) by hand *****.
          If I would decide to do by hand, which wax should I use? I've heard good things about Ultimate Liquid, but is there a better one?

I should ask if the stripe is smooth/glossy? Not a matte/rough stripe?
          Stripe is OEM installed by Ford at the plant, show it SHOULD be smooth&glossy, I'll let you know when I'll get the car at the end of the month.

Thanks,

Vadim

Comment

If I would decide to do by hand, which wax should I use? I've heard good things about Ultimate Liquid, but is there a better one?
            Kind of depends.. if you want to stay with one step , then you would probably want some sort of cleaner/wax... Maybe ColorX, or the D166.

Or you could do the M205/Ult Polish, then Ult Wax kind of thing for 2 steps.

Stripe is OEM installed by Ford at the plant, show it SHOULD be smooth&glossy, I'll let you know when I'll get the car at the end of the month.
            Yeah, you dont want wax on the matte black kind.

Comment

Vadim
              Make sure to ask the dealer if that strip is some sort of applique, like decal or vinyl. You don't want to treat it the same as if it was painted on and then cleared coat paint again with the whole car.

Comment

Kind of depends.. if you want to stay with one step , then you would probably want some sort of cleaner/wax... Maybe ColorX, or the D166.

Or you could do the M205/Ult Polish, then Ult Wax kind of thing for 2 steps.
                I'll go with D116 applied by hand. If I don't like it, I'll do something else next time around.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                  Vadim
                  Make sure to ask the dealer if that strip is some sort of applique, like decal or vinyl. You don't want to treat it the same as if it was painted on and then cleared coat paint again with the whole car.
                  I would be suprised if dealer has any idea, but I will ask.

Thanks,

Vadim

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bear View Post
                    Vadim
                    Based on mustang6g forum,

"Factory ones are vinyl, most are glossy except the black GT350 gets black matte I believe." So mine should be black vinyl glossy.

Comment

I would not want to us power tool on the vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');