• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello - Looking to learn more. Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello - Looking to learn more. Thanks

HI, I started detailing when I was 16 when I saw a 1982 Porsche 928 that was in horrible condition. That was 1984. I managed a detail shop after I graduated from college for a couple of years, but since then, I've just been doing detailing occasionally for other people, but mostly for my own cars. I did recently start up a detail service out of my garage, and for the last month it's been going great. I've seen a lot of improvements in the industry as far as polishes, techniques, etc...

I use a lot of different products, but I also use Meguire's, so I'm looking for some suggestions, hints, tricks, etc... to improve how I detail. I've always been a "by hand" kind of detailer, and only go to the machine when I have to. But now I'm older, I feel like I'm blowing my elbows and rotator cuffs out and need some advice on different buffers, pads and such to use to not only apply, but to remove wax and compounds. I feel like I'm making the job a lot harder than what it needs to be.

What was used on that black lexus in the photos from last week? What polish and type of pad?

Here are a couple of pics from an 02 Cadillac I did. Before the paint was horribly oxidized and well, you can see the after effects. But God was that hard. 19 hours I spent on this thing.

Glad to be here.

Re: Hello - Looking to learn more. Thanks

I believe you may be speaking about the Black Lexus that was the demo vehicle for the Saturday 4 Aug class.
    Pictures from Meguiar's 8/4 Intro to Paint Care & D/A Polishing Class

1) Wash - Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash and Wax
    2) Clay Prep - Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
    Using Meguiar's Quick Detailer for lubricant
    3) Compound - Meguiar's Ultimate Compound
    Applied with Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher using a Meguiar's 5 inch foam burgundy cutting pad
    4) Polish - Meguiar's Ultimate Polish
    Applied with Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher using a Meguiar's 5 inch foam yellow polishing pad
    5) Protect - Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax (synthetic)
    Applied with Meguiar's MT300 Dual Action Polisher using a Meguiar's 4 inch foam black finishing pad or by hand

Comment

Re: Hello - Looking to learn more. Thanks

Here is a video with Mike Pennington demonstrating using the products above and providing tips.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');