M105 on 13 year old neglected paint
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

          
  1. #1
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

    After searching through the forum, I wasn't able to find the answer I'm looking for. Mind you, my patience might not have been on point.

    So anyways, I'm working on my latest flip, an '05 Impreza wagon. I picked it up from a local impound auction, where it had sat out in the elements for nearly two years. Prior to that, I obviously have no idea how well it was taken care of. After fixing the few mechanical issues the car had, I set out to clean it up and get it ready for sale. Problem is, black paint looks dreadful if it's been neglected. So I bust out the ol' PC 7424xp and an LC CCS orange pad and get to work after a good wash and clay. I'm not exactly new to detailing, but I've never had such a hard time trying to get the M105 to cooperate. It is gumming up terribly, mostly around the edges of panels. Dusting isn't a huge issue because I try to brush the pad off between sections and mind my product usage. I still could be using too much product, though I'm leaning toward exceptionally dry paint, and it's just sucking up every bit of lubricant in the compound. Is there a product that cuts as effectively as M105, but with more lubricant? I might have to switch to my rotary to finish this job.

    For reference, this is the car when I picked it up. Atrocious.


    After working the fender with just wash, clay, and 105 as a test. There's a whole lot of etching on the hood and roof.


    Progress so far. Gotta go back over that door because I think when I wiped it down, there was some gummy M105 residue. Didn't work the hood or roof yet, as it was a bit sunny, and so I worked the shaded side. Only M105 so far. Don't mind the battery and the trans fluid, that was from the C230 Kompressor I worked on earlier lol.

  2. #2
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,434
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom240 View Post
    I'm not exactly new to detailing, but I've never had such a hard time trying to get the M105 to cooperate. It is gumming up terribly, mostly around the edges of panels. Dusting isn't a huge issue because I try to brush the pad off between sections and mind my product usage. I still could be using too much product, though I'm leaning toward exceptionally dry paint, and it's just sucking up every bit of lubricant in the compound. Is there a product that cuts as effectively as M105, but with more lubricant? I might have to switch to my rotary to finish this job.
    Welcome to Meguiar's Online! Looks like a fun project. You are correct, M105 Ultra Cut Compound, can be a bit tough to work with on older, dry paint, especially when using a D/A.

    Have you tried our D/A Microfiber Correction System or any of it's components? That is my first thought, our D300 D/A Microfiber Correction Compound. You can use it on a foam pad, but paired with our DMC5/DMC6 D/A Microfiber Cutting Disc, it may just be your new go-to. Using it with our D/A Microfiber Cutting Disc will provide more cut than a foam pad, when needed, especially on an older car like you are working on. D300 is designed for factory cured OEM paint, but it is known for being easy to work with in many different conditions, older dry paint, even on a warm surface.

    Another thought is our M100 Pro Speed Compound. But in general, if you are not using microfiber pads, highly suggest checking them out.

    Hope this helps. Feel free to post further questions/keep us updated on your progress.

    Nick
    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

  3. #3
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    Welcome to Meguiar's Online! Looks like a fun project. You are correct, M105 Ultra Cut Compound, can be a bit tough to work with on older, dry paint, especially when using a D/A.

    Have you tried our D/A Microfiber Correction System or any of it's components? That is my first thought, our D300 D/A Microfiber Correction Compound. You can use it on a foam pad, but paired with our DMC5/DMC6 D/A Microfiber Cutting Disc, it may just be your new go-to. Using it with our D/A Microfiber Cutting Disc will provide more cut than a foam pad, when needed, especially on an older car like you are working on. D300 is designed for factory cured OEM paint, but it is known for being easy to work with in many different conditions, older dry paint, even on a warm surface.

    Another thought is our M100 Pro Speed Compound. But in general, if you are not using microfiber pads, highly suggest checking them out.

    Hope this helps. Feel free to post further questions/keep us updated on your progress.

    Nick
    No, I haven't had a chance to give that a shot yet. Finding it locally is a no-go, even at the auto body supply stores. I'll have to order it and keep it on hand for the next project, which I'm sure won't be far away.

    What's the difference in M105 and M100? They're both ultra cut compounds, correct? Is the M105 simply more aggressive, or a greater grit to carrier/lubricant ratio? Also, if the M105 is difficult to work on a foam DA pad, would you recommend a rotary with a cutting pad? I have that on standby as well, but generally only pull it out for jobs where I have nothing to lose, lol. Would Ultra Compound on a DA with foam be a better choice for leveling the paint on panels that don't have any deep scratches, as opposed to M105 on DA and foam?

  4. #4
    Product & Training Specialist |MOL Admin Nick Winn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,434
    Rep Power
    72

    Re: M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

    Here is a cool video we did we autogeek talking through the differences in our 3 most popular compounds, M105 Ultra Cut Compound, M100 Pro Speed Compound, & M101 Foam Cut Compound. Simply put though, M100 Pro Speed Compound seems to be more popular from a user experience standpoint, compared to M105. But, M105 can cut better & leave behind a better finish.

    Nick Winn
    Product & Training Specialist | Meguiar's Online Forum Administrator
    Meguiar's Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    nawinn@meguiars.com
    800-854-8073 ext 3845

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: M105 on 13 year old neglected paint

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Winn View Post
    Simply put though, M100 Pro Speed Compound seems to be more popular from a user experience standpoint, compared to M105. But, M105 can cut better & leave behind a better finish.
    I'll check the video out this evening when I get a chance. Forget the M100 then, haha. I like how well M105 finishes. I can deal with a bit of gummy trash I have to wash off.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. M105 and 20 year old Porsche Glasurit paint correction
    By samuraik in forum Professional Line - Mirror Glaze & Detailer Line Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 20th, 2018, 05:19 AM
  2. Wow! I just found this in a year old thread about M105 vs M86
    By 10degreesbtdc in forum Tricks of the Trade!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jul 31st, 2009, 01:32 AM
  3. Neglected paint...
    By tiggere in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Apr 9th, 2008, 05:44 AM
  5. very neglected paint
    By Raelayotte in forum Detailing 101
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •