• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all...

Hello everyone. I just found this forum. Never been on any detailing forums. I mostly hang out at lawn mower and car ones.
    Been using Meguiar's products since 1988 when I first got a car with nice paint job.
    First car that paint mattered was a 67 Pontiac LeMans. It was 87 IROC Z blue (code 23 I believe bright blue poly). It was stripped to bare metal and front and black glass pulled and all door panels removed and interior for repaint.
    It was nice!
    About the 2-3 wash the swirls came and I about died, being 18 and all. I got pretty good at getting it looking good but later and still have a Buick Grand National with repaint of bc/cc. I had to up my game to get the black looking flawless...or as close to flawless as you can get.
    I am out of the loop on these sealers or whatever they are.
    I remember Liquid Glass being a sealant type but never really likes it or had any spectacular results from it. It was like 13.00 back them.
    I used a lot of #3 machine glaze IIRC. I had a friend that liked #7 but I did not. Too hard to remove and no real great improvements. Same with #9.
    I have used wool pads after wet sanding for polishing and black waffle pad for close to final finishing.
    I have always doen Zymol and wax by hand. Never used to applicator power ones.

I used #26 paste wax as a top coat some. Cleaner wax is pretty good but I have had better results with Pro Ultimate Cutter followed by two coats of Zymol by hand. Then gold class paste and I had some NXT 2.0 paste wax too.
    Meguiar's quick detailer is always on hand. The black bottle was a little better but I can't remember which one came our first the Gold Class or Ultimate. I think it was gold class that I used. Amazingly enough Turtle Wax Emerald series detailer was even better on my car but they quit making it.

This was on a show car that never saw rain or snow but a bird did get it one time. I guess this is where the sealants might give better protection to cars that are driven regularly.

I have a black SUV to detail now (will need some clay) and it will be daily driver and sit out in sun (SW Oh, so not the worst) and driven in winters. So I have to get back good at doing this.

Re: Hello all...

1988! You've seen a lot of cool stuff in detailing through the years.

I started in 96. In 2011 I switched from using a rotary to mostly using a random orbital tool.

I started back then with M02, M09, and M26. I ventured out into the Medallion, and M20 sealants, as well as M80 Speed Glaze.

I've always found Meguiar's sealants to be durable and long lasting. These days I'm reaching for M21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0, or Ultimate Liquid Wax (synthetic). M21 seems to have that classic, stark sealant shine, while the Ultimate Liquid Wax definitely "warms up" the gloss of the paint.

As far as abrasives go, I use M100, and Ultimate Compounds, and M205 or Ultimate Polish.

There is a ton of stuff out there, even within Meguiar's own lines that it can be confusing. Once I decided on what products to learn, I started getting better results unless time.

Comment

I've never used a random orbit polisher, only a da when sanding a car. I have an old WEN buffer with a 7 or 8 inch black waffle pad on it that I used last on the roof of my black GN. Here is the car right after that with Pro Ultimate Cutter on the roof (if had some little dust puck marks that had me worried but the PRO took them right out) and once or twice by hand with Zymol cleaner/polish/wax stuff.

Was trying to post pic but it looks like no direct from computer browse...Too much work to do photobucket etc. I will try my phone or see if there is an app. A file sharing site is to 2000 for me. Can't go through all that again.

Tried the phone. I give up.
      I might be an idiot. Good chance.
      Got to be a way to click on browse computer to get to file to upload. If not .....crazy!!!

Reading the pic posting tutorial now. Good lord!!! Why does a site need a tutorial to attach a pic. What year is this? Sorry but I am craigslist and facebook spoiled.

Comment

Found a better pic. This is about as good as it ever looks. Just got into town to Pigeon Forge car show and wiped it down.
        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Am I doing this right? the medium image link....

This is my typical finished result. I use a duster to get the dus/tpollen off in the morning and Meguiar's QD with microfiber towel.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');