• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experience with 2015 Toyota Ruby Flare Pearl paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with 2015 Toyota Ruby Flare Pearl paint?

Hi everyone. I recently purchased a 2015 Toyota Camry in Ruby Flare Pearl. It's one of those "special" colors that was an extra $400.00 cost on the window sticker when the car was new. Other than the previous owner doing a horrible job of touching up the paint chips on the hood (the paint used is about 2 shades too dark) it's in good condition to my untrained eye with only a few minor swirls. I'd like to clear those up. My thinking is ...

Wash
    Clay
    Ultimate polish
    Ultimate liquid wax

It's the polish step I'm not 100% sure on. I'll be working by hand. I don't think the paint needs need compounded. I don't see many swirls in it so I'm thinking that the polish will be good. If not I could always go back and compound it but I'm hesitant as I don't want to add swirls that aren't there.

For the polish I want to use a foam applicator correct? If I have to go back and compound then I'd use a microfiber one right? What's best for the wax?

As always thanks!

Re: Experience with 2015 Toyota Ruby Flare Pearl paint?

Just be aware that working by hand takes a lot of time and effort. So be prepared for that. It is hard to say what needs to be done but the test spot from your method is the right approach.

A foam applicator works for compounding, polishing and waxing by hand. Microfiber will give you more bite but may leave a haze.

Here is a good video on using the ultimate duo by hand.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Experience with 2015 Toyota Ruby Flare Pearl paint?

Thanks for the information and video. Yes, I realize doing it by hand is going to be a lot more work but a DA just isn't in the budget unless one of the Walmart sub 30 dollar ones is worth buying. I do have microfiber application pads which leads to another question. What would be better, a 30 dollar DA with foam pads or microfiber by hand if using ultimate polish and needing a bit more correction?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');