• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet or dry carpet cleaning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet or dry carpet cleaning?

So I was wondering, when you clean cloth carpets from the car do you power wash them down after soaked with product or dry with microfiber the product?

I watch videos and some do one the other do something else.

I'm thinking of wet cleaning them now, surely it must clean them much better and much more thorough.

Re: Wet or dry carpet cleaning?

IMO, dry carpet cleaning will improve the appearance but hot water extraction is going to get the most dirt out. Dry technique is often all you need for a light cleaning or maintenance detail.

If you are referring to removable floor mats you can indeed pressure wash them and hang them out to dry with great results. You can use the edge of your hand to "squeegee" the excess water out. If you're referring to carpet in the vehicle you do want to avoid both over wetting the fibers and using too much detergent. Too much liquid and slow drying can lead to the carpet wicking stains back up from the floor. To avoid this use a shop vac to vacuum up as much excess moisture as possible and you can also use a fan to help facilitate drying.

Comment

Originally posted by gregpack View Post
      IMO, dry carpet cleaning will improve the appearance but hot water extraction is going to get the most dirt out. Dry technique is often all you need for a light cleaning or maintenance detail.

If you are referring to removable floor mats you can indeed pressure wash them and hang them out to dry with great results. You can use the edge of your hand to "squeegee" the excess water out. If you're referring to carpet in the vehicle you do want to avoid both over wetting the fibers and using too much detergent. Too much liquid and slow drying can lead to the carpet wicking stains back up from the floor. To avoid this use a shop vac to vacuum up as much excess moisture as possible and you can also use a fan to help facilitate drying.
      Oh yeah for sure was talking about the removable ones.

As for interior, yeah I would use a combo of detergent and my handheld steam cleaner. I do pass with a vacuum afterwards to. Never actually used a fan though, just kept doors open or windows down.

Is a fan nescessary? I do admit I'm always a bit scarred of causing mold and reading everything online freaks me out a bit lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
        Is a fan nescessary? I do admit I'm always a bit scarred of causing mold and reading everything online freaks me out a bit lol.
        Nah, not really. If your not seeing any signs of browning with your current technique I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I believe that it is necessary to carry out both dry and wet cleaning, this is very important. Sometimes I use a vacuum cleaner for this, for example the dyson иall total clean vacuum has the strongest suction of any vacuum.1 with extra tools for a total cleaning solution.

Comment

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question...but yes. Vacuum first then 'shampoo'.

Ya wanna get as much loose stuff out of the carpets first, make the 'shampooing' process more productive.

Bill

Comment

Someone mentioned pressure washing your removable mats. Yes, if they are rubber, however if removal carpet type mats, I would not pressure wash them. Frankly, I would not put a pressure washer anywhere near my vehicles. Pressures washers are good for removing flaking paint off an old barn, but not on carpet. Just use some soapy water and a stiff nylon brush. Then vacuum with a wet/dry vac and hang to dry.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');