• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing 101 / Intro questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing 101 / Intro questions

Good afternoon all,

I currently own a 1986 BMW e30 325e (alpine white)
    She is my baby and my pride and joy. After i bought this car i started to really enjoy washing and taking care of the paint. Im new to the "Detailing world" and i have signed up for the Meguiars intro to polishing class, however i dont have the funds for a polisher or DA at the moment and enjoy doing things by hand.

Here is my current wash steps.

1) rinse with pressure washer from local self wash station
    2) spray a good amount of wheel cleaner and give it a light scrub with wash mit and rinse off
    3) use wash mit to soap up car all around
    4) rinse with pressure washer
    5) rinse water with spot free rinse option at the car wash
    6) drive car home and dry the car with drying towel
    7) spray wax spread and apply with microfiber towel and wipe clean with dry micro fiber towel

I wanted to add a couple more steps but have questions.
    1) what does the compound do for your car paint and how often do you use it?
    2) at what step would you clay bar your car and how often
    3) can you use polish and apply spray wax after to keep the shine?
    4) any additional steps i should add to my current method?
    5) is washing a car once a week too much?

If there are any tutorials or guidelines i can find on hand washing and hand polishing my car it would be awesome.

here is a photo of my car after wash
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Tonyton3z.

Re: Detailing 101 / Intro questions

You are in LA, go to a Meguiars class for sure...

Compound will clean dirt from the paint and remove defects. That depends on how strong the product is, how it is used of course. People may never use a compound, but use a mild cleaner a couple times a year.

Clay is after wash, and same idea. Once or twice a year unless needed more.

Yes, that is the idea.

You probably at least want something like wash, clay, use a cleaner/wax a couple times a year. Then wash, spray wax in between.

Of course we can add lots more....
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Detailing 101 / Intro questions

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      You are in LA, go to a Meguiars class for sure...

Compound will clean dirt from the paint and remove defects. That depends on how strong the product is, how it is used of course. People may never use a compound, but use a mild cleaner a couple times a year.

Clay is after wash, and same idea. Once or twice a year unless needed more.

Yes, that is the idea.

You probably at least want something like wash, clay, use a cleaner/wax a couple times a year. Then wash, spray wax in between.

Of course we can add lots more....
      amazing. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');