• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with product question for getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with product question for getting started

I am a newbie to the site (guy in his 50's), that is looking to start a better process of cleaning / waxing of my vehicles. I have read the 5 stages of cleaning and looked at some threads and video's, but would like to get the "basic" products ordered to go at this. I also did the bag test and based on what I have read, I should clay bar the vehicles. Paint otherwise is in very good condition on both vehicles. I like the idea of the D156 because I had read that it will not stain white black trim, which there is a lot of on my FJ.

I have a 2014 FJ Cruiser is Cement color and a 2015 VW Passat in Black that I will be working with. My plan thus far is the following:

Wash - Meguiars Wash Plus
    Clay Bar - Meguiars or Mothers
    Polish - ?????
    Wax - ?????
    Maintenance post future washes - Meguiars D156 Synthetic XPress

I plan to do all of this by hand as I would not trust myself on my car's paint with anything motorized. Assuming I use the above items, what part of Meguiars product line should I use for the Polish and Wax, knowing that I plan on using the D156 for post future washes.

Thanks!

Re: Newbie with product question for getting started

Definitely check out this thread. There is good information regardless if you do it by hand or machine.

99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

ultimate polish and ultimate liquid are other good choices for products and readily available at retail establishments all over the country. You can top it off with ultimate fast finish too to extend protection.

Comment

By hand, I would combine the polish and wax step by using D166 Ultra Polishing Wax.

Comment

Originally posted by drumdan View Post
          By hand, I would combine the polish and wax step by using D166 Ultra Polishing Wax.
          Ultimate liquid wax protection is much more durable than 166.

OP, don't be scared of a dual action polisher. Stick to polishing pads and they're really safe.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');