• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheel treatment ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel treatment ?

I know there are a few good wheel cleaning products like HotRims and DUB....
    but my question is what to treat the wheels AFTER cleaning them with those products ?

I want to minimize the lay-down of brake dust or at least make it very easy to remove the dust.
    Should a wax or glaze be applyed ?
    Also, how do I know if I have aluminum, steel, alloy wheels or wheels that have a clear-coat ?
    2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Re: Wheel treatment ?

if the wheels are OEM, then they are clear coated. They alloy doesnt necessarily matter but you would want to avoid an acid based wheel cleaner on an aluminum wheel, especially if hot. Most OEM wheels are cast with higher end sports cars cars having forged wheels. Steel wheels usually are on cars with hubcaps.

if you wash your car weekly, a bucket of car soap and wheel brushes will suffice for keeping them clean. I have brembo's and HP+ pads for a daily because i like the extra initial bite when stopping and they dust like crazy. Megs non-acidic wheel and tire cleaner (wheel brightner, ultimate wheel cleaner, etc) work well with wheel woolie brushes to get at the face and barrels. Spray the product on a cool wheel, then have a dedicated wheel cleaning bucket with car soap and water to agitate.

You can look into a wheel coating for easier cleaning but it will take time to prep the wheel prior to the coating. A dedicated wheel wax/glaze also work as they are dedicated to the high temps of braking also work but need to be applied more often. I use a spray wax just for a "finished" look but the spray wax doesnt last more than a day or so

Comment

You can use a wax, sealant or spray wax to add some protection. Just be aware that the next time you use a wheel cleaner you will have to reapply.

If you want something that will last longer then you will have to go the ceramic coating route. Take more time and effort for prepping the surface prior to applying a coating.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thanks for that guys. Right now I am using RainX believe it or not. The logic being that if repels water, maybe it will repel dust.
        However, being treated specifically for glass.....still not sure of it's effectiveness on metal.
        Guz -
        Does Mequiar's carry a ceramic coating product ?
        2014 Porsche 981 Boxster - Black Basalt Metallic; 21" wheels with oversized Toyo T1R racing tires.

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
          Guz -
          Does Mequiar's carry a ceramic coating product ?
          Nope.
          99 Grand Prix
          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
            Nope.
            I wonder why they do not ?
            Is there some controversy about the effectiveness of the ceramic coating technology I wonder ?

Comment

Originally posted by syswizard View Post
              I wonder why they do not ?
              Is there some controversy about the effectiveness of the ceramic coating technology I wonder ?
              Nick - Any comment ?
              Any plans for rolling out a ceramic-like coating ?

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');