• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i always have to Clay before Ultimate Liquid Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i always have to Clay before Ultimate Liquid Wax

First off, i'm am no way shape or form very knowledgeable when it come to detailing. That said I try my best! I practice good washing, and always try to think ahead to avoid any issues using products. I've always have had great luck with Ultimate Liquid wax. I always feel like it gives me that thin barrier between the clear coat and wash/drying towel. On my previous truck that was 10 yrs old I would clay, compound, polish, then wax. The outcome on that black paint was outstanding!! The one step in that process that I was always concerned was using clay. I was so worried I would cause swirls with the clay, But I used it because I thought I had to remove any contaminates and old wax before applying new wax?? I would do this process maybe twice a year.

So now I just bought a new truck. Black. Don't ask me why. Wow it looks good. No swirls and i'm doing what I can to keep it that way. So I want to get a coat of ULW on it. But being a new truck i'm scared to death using clay. Does it even need it being new? Next question is. Meguiars clams to use ULW every 2 months depending on condition, how many washes. etc.. I do wash a lot. I would love to wax every 2 months. But on the clay, they only suggest 1-2 times a year. I find myself washing the new truck a lot more than before, I know i'm removing more wax each time, so I have no issue applying wax every other month at min. Can I safely prep the vehicle somehow before ULW without using clay? Do I still need to compound and polish? I thought that was mainly for repair/fixing swirls and bringing back color and depth? Do I need to use a different wax if I don't clay it first? A Cleaner/wax? I guess the main question is if Meguiar recommends ULW every other month, do they want you to go through the entire clay/compound/polish step every time? What is the process for just a reapplication of ULW??
    Thanks

Re: Do i always have to Clay before Ultimate Liquid Wax

But I used it because I thought I had to remove any contaminates and old wax before applying new wax?? I would do this process maybe twice a year.
    Well, dont have to, but it certainly helps the shine. And yeah, about twice a year is good for most situations.

Does it even need it being new?
    Probably.. But one thing you can do is put your hand in a zip-lock baggy, and feel the surface, and see how rough it feels.

Next question is. Meguiars clams to use ULW every 2 months depending on condition, how many washes. etc.. I do wash a lot. I would love to wax every 2 months. But on the clay, they only suggest 1-2 times a year. I find myself washing the new truck a lot more than before, I know i'm removing more wax each time, so I have no issue applying wax every other month at min.
    Honestly I would look at the Ult. Quick Wax for after washes... If you wash and use the spray wax every week or two, you could probably go 3-4 months between actual waxings. And wiping around a spray wax is less 'pressure' on the surface.

Can I safely prep the vehicle somehow before ULW without using clay? Do I still need to compound and polish? I thought that was mainly for repair/fixing swirls and bringing back color and depth? Do I need to use a different wax if I don't clay it first? A Cleaner/wax? I guess the main question is if Meguiar recommends ULW every other month, do they want you to go through the entire clay/compound/polish step every time? What is the process for just a reapplication of ULW??
    Ult. Polish then Ult Wax would be a good way to prep... wouldnt need to use the Ult. Compound every time one would hope.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Feels really smooth to me, i think good wash and dry i could wax this first time. But what about next month when i want to add another coat? What should i start with? I like QW but i also worry about rubbing contamination in with it bc its thinner than UW. I've used it with drying before and seem work ok but i don't feel like it leaves much coating behind

Comment

Of course you can wax your vehicle without claying. Clay hasn't been around that long- I think it came into use in the 90's. I bet most of the motoring public doesn't know what detailer's clay is.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGM View Post
          ... i'm scared to death using clay....
          Scared of clay? Why?

A mild clay like Meguiar's white clay isn't going to damage your paint in any way. It's the opposite. It removes contaminants that are eating away at you paint and it prevents you from grinding them in deeper into the finish when you're polishing and waxing.

So if you need to be scared of something be scared of the crud you're leaving on your paint by not claying.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');