• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme noob product advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme noob product advice needed

He all I just got a new truck that unfortunatly will spend its life outside. The boat got the garage. I want to keep it looking good for a long time but don't have a lot of time to dedicate to application of products. Just looking for good protection to make keeping it clean easier. Something that will work well with a weekly touch free wash. The truck is black. I used the spray on quick wax on my boat but its hard to say how well it works on a boat. The fast finish seems interesting. I am totally clueless with this type of stuff so suggestions are appreciated.

Mike

Re: Extreme noob product advice needed

The Ultimate Fast Finish, and/or Ultra Polishing Wax D166 are the first that came to mind.

Comment

Yeah, if you just want to get some protection on each week while drying, using the Ult Quick Wax is probably the best bet.

If you were going to do a little more of a detail a couple times a year, then claying, a cleaner/wax like the Polishing Wax would be nice and fairly quick. Then the Ult Quick Wax each week after that...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ok guys thanks for the input. Here is what I actually pulled the trigger on.

I ordered a polisher kit from AG that included the PC 7424XP, 5" backing plate, three 5.5" CSS orange light cutting pads, two 5.5" CSS Black finishing pads, Meguires #105, Meguires #205. In addition to this I bought Meguires #21 sealant, an additional black finish pad, and the Meguires Perfect clarity glass kit and a Meguires ClayKit. I also got a bunch of new MF towels.

My truck is the newest of our vehicles and it is also black. There are a couple of very minor scuffs. Would it be best to polish the entire truck with the #205 first or just go directly with the #21 (obviously after all of the wash and prep is done). The second in the line up is my son's 2017 White VW Golf. This could certainly use a wash, clay and polish before sealant. and finally My wife's 2013 CRV. It currently has nothing on it and will go with a clay, #105, #205 and a #21. These are all to my best understanding of the processes??

Comment

I ordered a polisher kit from AG that included the PC 7424XP, 5" backing plate, three 5.5" CSS orange light cutting pads, two 5.5" CSS Black finishing pads, Meguires #105, Meguires #205. In addition to this I bought Meguires #21 sealant, an additional black finish pad, and the Meguires Perfect clarity glass kit and a Meguires ClayKit. I also got a bunch of new MF towels.
          Well, beginner didnt last long...

There are a couple of very minor scuffs. Would it be best to polish the entire truck with the #205 first or just go directly with the #21 (obviously after all of the wash and prep is done).
          Yeah, I would want to #205 everything... #205 has a lot of polishing oils, so will really look good under the wax.

Depending on the scuffs, #205 may be enough.. or even a little #105 by hand first on the spot real quick.

The second in the line up is my son's 2017 White VW Golf. This could certainly use a wash, clay and polish before sealant. and finally My wife's 2013 CRV. It currently has nothing on it and will go with a clay, #105, #205 and a #21. These are all to my best understanding of the processes??
          Its hard to say if the #105 will be needed or not. If there are no scratches really, its probably not going to need it.

These days I get further with things like IronX and TarX for surface prep before claying... #105 is also a pretty good tar remover by hand if you have a spot with a lot of build up.. So actually yea, #105 may cut through some of the gunk to help remove it, but more effort...
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Delete

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Well, beginner didnt last long....
              I like to live somewhere in the middle... I will be getting some IronX for sure. Concentrating on protection for the winter and corrections in the spring if needed. I'll start on my wife's car first for practice.

Comment

You may want to consider getting yourself ultimate compound as M105 is not the most user friendly compound if you do end up needing it. You are going to hear this a lot but the test spot with the least aggressive combination is your answer.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                  You may want to consider getting yourself ultimate compound as M105 is not the most user friendly compound if you do end up needing it. You are going to hear this a lot but the test spot with the least aggressive combination is your answer.
                  Good to know. Got the 105 / 205 kit as a package with the DA machine. I'll have to wait until next week before I can attack my truck. The weather is not cooperating and she just won't fit in the garage. May tackle my wife's car this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');